Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console paint scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 AM
1st Gear
Question Console paint scratch

2005 A6 Console paint scratch

I bought a used 2005 A6 and the paint around the volume **** on the center console is worn out from the previous owners sharp nails I suppose. To my surprise the audi dealer could not identify the gray plastic trim and says that the whole center console needs to be changed to repair that little paint scratch. The paint somehow is translucent enough for the eliminated “VOL” lettering to get through it so simply painting it doesn’t seem the right solution (and I am not sure how easy it would be). Does anyone else have damage to this part? I imagine anyone with 2005-2008 A6 would have similar problem as the volume **** is too close to the surface and the finger nails will rub on the paint.

Cheers,

Attached Images  

Last edited by Bobs425; 02-15-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

Finally a C6 problem that I don't have I guess using the volume control on the steering wheel has saved me from this problem. Have you tried having an auto body shop match the paint?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

First of all, you need to figure out if the console cover is one big three-toned piece (that's why the dealer said they would have to change the whole center console), or three different pieces (wood-gray-silver). That way you would know if they just want to make a buck off of you, or they indeed want to help you replace the scratched cover that impairs on the car's driveability...
It is hard to tell from such a small pic, but if it is just one piece - (the gray area) all those buttons may need to come out...with so many controls, probably there's a pretty sizeable wiring harness underneath.

Someone with ETKA may be able to help you identify that trim piece ; however, probably the dealership is the only place to get it from anyway, unless you get lucky to find it at a dismantling place.

Good luck

(P.S. Darn, and I thought I'm a picky person...)

Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

I asked the dealer to look it up and stood next to him while he was searching for just the grey piece. However the only thing that came up was the whole center console! The dealer said the whole console is about $500 (probably another $500 for labor). It all seems very ridiculous for a little paint scratch that is result of a poor design to begin with. If that part came off easily then it could be painted. However as I said before, there are some illuminated lettering that show through the paint so the paint itself has to be translucent I think.

BTW, is there a diagram that show how to take apart the whole center console to see if the grey part and switches come off separately? Also what is the correct term to describe this piece? “Center console” usually refers to where the MMI screen is located.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

Bob,

Since nobody else chimed in, I don't really know what to tell you. The dealer quoted you probably based on what they see on ETKA, plus their bit of profit on the part (beside the labor itself).
That's why I said that someone with the ETKA or ElsaWIN programs can identify that piece for you, either as a single piece or as a whole, and see what's the retail price.
A diagram or "exploded view" of the center console/arm rest can be also posted by someone with the EBahn manual.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be too much "Interior - DIY" info out there on C6s, beside adding IPod capability, NAV-MMI problems, and... pimping stuff. A reason may be that most of these are fairly new and still under warranty (what is it, 50,000 miles?) and people probably run'em to the dealer when having trouble.

On your case, probably it is the top clearcoat that got scratched.
From this similar pic (from an European model counterpart), it looks like the gray cover part should come out apart from the wood and silver trims, after you pop out the VOL ****. (Based on the design, it seems you should be able to grip the **** and pull it straight up).
You should be able to probe gently at the corners (either by TEL or SETUP buttons) with a non-scratching pry tool and see if it comes off. If it comes off (which it should), then you can detail it on your own and save the $ 500-1000 dealer quoted you.
However, if you don't trust yourself doing this, then leave it for the dealer...

Good luck.