Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak - 2002 Audi A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant leak - 2002 Audi A6 3.0

Hello,

I have a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 and love it. No problems with the car since I got it. Now that it has 117K miles I see problems cropping up. My coolent started leaking a couple of days back. It's dripping after I drive for a while and stop. It leaks till the engine cools down. At least that's my guess. I suspected a water pump problem but the car doesn't heat up when I drive it.

Did anyone else have this problem? I am planning to also change the timing belts so is it OK to buy parts online like Bosch or Continental or should I go to the dealer for these? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

I had that problem with my 2000 A6. I noticed that the Reservoir tank had a few hair line cracks in the bottom of it... I got some plastic weld to try that, but that didn't help. So i just went and bought a new tank for it, and that solved my problem. Hope that helps!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Thank you forknif. I looked at the reservoir but there are no cracks or leaks from it. The leak is right under the belt next to the oil filter when looking from top with the hood up.

Thank you for the advise and I'll look at the reservior again just to make sure...

Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

ya i noticed I had a ton! of dried coolant right under my tank, so i knew it was coming from there, you might have a loose clamp somewhere.. but anything past that, good luck! i hope someone has a solution for you

Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM
1st Gear

Pay attention to the quality of new water pump in the TB kit.
Some report the water pump problems within a year after TB service.

The O-ring in the thermostat:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...s-Is-it-normal

Another place
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a6/msgs/29790.phtml

Last edited by bigdadi; 05-26-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Thank you so much for your post! The first link you sent that's exactly where I have a leak from. I think I'll go get the impeller today and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Bringing this thread back from the dead ... My wife's 2002 A6 3.0 has developed a very small leak on the front, middle area of the engine. I pulled off the plastic undercarriage guard and wiped everything down to see a source of the problem. Nothing is jumping out at me, until I saw this link: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...s-Is-it-normal

I want to see if this is the problem, but I can't find where the therostat is based on the pics.

My wife is taking my car tomorrow, so I'll drive around and see if I can force the issue and get a bit of a leak to show up. I had it idle in my driveway for about 20 minutes and it was dry as a bone under there. No coolant in the oil either, no loss of power or smoke out of the exhaust (phew). Thanks for the help!

Old 05-21-2016, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default 2006 a4 cabrio 3.0 v6 coolant leak

Well i underwent this project today as my coolant flange was cracked and leaking badly. The coolant flange on the v6 is actually a whole pipe assembly that goes from left head to right head. I studied the engine bay for about 10 min prior to tackling this project, and i realised that this is no simple job. Parts were around 200 bucks from audi. I had to remove the entire intake assembly, fuel rail, injectors, intake manifold and etc and still the two bottom bolts on the flange were a major pita. All in all it took 6 hours to complete the job. I figure it could be done faster if it wasnt my first time working on an audi. My advice to ppl who attempt this is to take it slow and be very careful. Most of the connections behind the motor are plastic and will break very easily. Keep track of every bolt you remove as there will be a lot of them, be careful not to drop any bolts in the bay because they will be lost forever lol. On a side note why the hell does audi use allen bolts on this piece???? And why is it plastic!!!!! It would have been 10X easier if the bolts were reguluar bolts and you could slip a wrench over them!!! Instead i had to use a really short 90degree angle allen key, which made this go very slow, i must have spent 2 and a half hours alone on the 2 bottom bolts on the flange!!! Just stupid......