Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Audi A6 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 Audi A6 coolant leak

I have a 98 Audi A6 with 148k miles on it.

I took my car for a regular oil change last week. They also did the engine flush. Oil change sensor would still beep after the service & i didn't understand why. Today morning when i took the car out & drove a couple miles i saw steam coming from under the hood. I stop the car & see coolant leaking under the car. I pop the hood up & coolant is empty. I cant seem to figure out wat has happened here. Could this be coz of mechanic who worked on my car & messed something up? Any suggestions would be appreciated friends. I just wanna knw in advance b4 i take it to the mechanic coz i dont wanna be ripped out of ignorance.

I am thinking ill buy antifreeze & top it up before i drive it out to the mechanic. I dont want to blow my engine.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear

Prady,

First, you have already been ripped off due to ignorance. The "engine flush" is for suckers. Sorry.

Second, the change oil indicator will flash until you reset it. Look in your Owner's manual.

Third, the technician (not a mechanic) who "worked" on your car screwed something up. But, they won't want to take the blame since they aren't real mechanics.

Fourth, call a tow truck and have it towed back to the "repair" facility and make them pay for it.

Fifth, if you can't do an oil change by yourself, you probably are in over your head with this car since Audis take more maintenance than your usual vehicle. You should consider trading it in on something less maintenance intensive.

Bob

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
Prady,

First, you have already been ripped off due to ignorance. The "engine flush" is for suckers. Sorry.

Second, the change oil indicator will flash until you reset it. Look in your Owner's manual.

Third, the technician (not a mechanic) who "worked" on your car screwed something up. But, they won't want to take the blame since they aren't real mechanics.

Fourth, call a tow truck and have it towed back to the "repair" facility and make them pay for it.

Fifth, if you can't do an oil change by yourself, you probably are in over your head with this car since Audis take more maintenance than your usual vehicle. You should consider trading it in on something less maintenance intensive.

Bob
Thnx for the info bob, well i'm figuring a lot of DIY's now. Here's the update. Mechanic i took the car to told me that the water pump is shot & thats where the coolant is leaking from. But it srsly is leaking bad, ne suggestions my friend?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

At 148K your getting close to the second timing belt replacement - assuming it was done the first time -

To do it correctly the belt, tensioners, pulleys, water pump, and front seals need to be done by an experienced Audi guy. Expect to pay around $1500 or more for parts and labor. It can be a DIY if your good, but you can't skimp on renting or purchasing the cam locking tool and you need the correct tools to pull the seals etc.

On the other hand he might have burst a hose at the front of the motor during a power flush and is telling you that you need the water pump so he can suck more money out of you.