Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could my battery be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Default Could my battery be bad?

I have a 2005 A6 that has been having some trouble starting like a few other threads i have read. It would try to start for 2 seconds then stall. It did this for awhile and now I have a bigger problem. I parked my car last night after comming home with no problems. My wife tries to go to work in the morning, turns the key and the engine does nothing but she hears a noise go through each speaker independantly.
Now when you put the key in all the electronics work but the car doesn't turn over or do anything. I cant get to the battery diagnostic screen because it says i need to start the car.
I load tested the battery with a tester and it read about 8 volts under load and 12 volts w/out load. Is my battery bad? or should 8 volts at least be enough to turn over the car?
I've had the car for 1 year and don't know when the battery was replaced last.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car isn't under warranty.

Thanks,
AJ

Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM

You could try jump starting the car to see if it is the battery or the starter. Also, you can take the battery to an auto store and have it tested.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 AM
2nd Gear

I am still on the original battery in my 05 4.2. I doubt that the original owner of your car replaced its battery during the first three years of service. My guess is that you are dealing with a 4 year old battery that needs to be replaced. If you want the TSBs on the hard stop problem drop me a PM with your e-mail address and refernce the TSB for the hard start.

Kevin

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
3rd Gear

Normally a battery should show 12-14 volts w/out a load. 8 volts seems a bit low under load---

Goto Auto Zone and have them check out the battery.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Exclamation

I did some more trouble shooting today and this is what I have found.
Hooked up a jumper pack and still got nothing. eliminating the battery concern.
I took off the lower covers of the engine and jumped the relay and the starter spun very fast but didn't engage. I'm thinking there is something else that would engage the starter?
So could it be my ignition switch? Is this something I can replace myself? Are there and DIY links to follow?

My problem is that the closest audi dealer is 100 miles away. Could a local shop do the repair?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
AJ

Old 02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

It sounds like the solenoid portion of your starter is not doing its job at cranking up the engine, so only the starter motor is running.
Any competent sop should be able to help you with this.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Unhappy $2,300 !!!! ? are they serious

So I had my car towed to the dealer and recieved some bad news. I was told by a tech that there was a sensor in the steering column that was bad. He also told me it was going to be $2,300 to fix it.
Has anyone heard of this? It sounds a little out of line to me! I read that the yep sensor was a $700 repair and its located in the steering column.

I will get info tomorrow on the exact part and if i'm getting ripped off.

If you have seen this at all please give me a little direction.

Thanks a lot!

AJ