Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could it be the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Could it be the transmission?

Hi fellow Audi lovers. I have been registered for a while, but I don't post here too often.
I need some serious help, I have had my Audi for about a year now and it's had this problem since I bought it. Over the course of one year, however, it has gotten much worse and way more noticeable. Before I tell you the problem, heres the stats of the car.
2003 Audi A6 3.0(non quattro),
automatic transmission,
69,000 miles.
Now the problem is many different things. The main thing is the car shakes and shudders when I brake. If I slow down the car will shudder, and sometimes if I'm stopped in traffic I can feel it rocking back and forth, fairly quickly. The extreme end of the problem will be that occasionally when I start the car and put it in reverse, it will jerk violently back and forth instead of moving smoothly, although this is rare, about once every two months. I usually have to stop it and restart the car when this happens.
Furthermore, the car makes a squeaky sound when I reverse it and steer in a direction besides straight, and sometimes when I'm driving, if let off the accelerator, and then push back on it, the rpm will drop before accelerating again. You can feel it slow down before it takes off.
When I last got the oil changed at Goodyear, I asked them about it, and the guy basically blew me off. He asked if there were any warning lights on, and when I told him there weren't he said it would be throwing darts and not knowing what the problem was. I figured my fellow Audi enthusiasts would know better than this guy.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have a buddy with a VAGCOM so that you could read the trouble codes?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

I would check engine and transmission mounts first.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

There could be a number of unrelated problems you have.

Miltitronics are known to be more fragile and capricious even beyond the tips.

Transm oil condition?

Brake problems - rotor (pads) issues.

Goodyear - engine oil change?

I second you need to have DTC read!

Having faulty transm could lead to the general solution - get rid of the car!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help guys. I unfortunately don't know anyone with VAGCOM so I will probably have to take it to the dealership. This whole ordeal is probably gonna end up costing me alot.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

Does the car shake while braking only? Or will it shake just moving?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

PLease don't take yuor Audi to a Goodyear Gemini place, they are great for my Tj aor wife's van but for an Audi youneed to find a trustworthy Audi Indy shop.
I could be many things so get the codes.. but it could also be a combination of things as you mention steering noise... this could be bad Tie Rod Ends,. steering rack... independantly from a tranny issue. Shaking while braking/slowing could be brakes also but that does not explain the other stuff.
has anyone/any shop messed with your tranny (change fluid?) or TCU?
You have any mods? Tip Chip?
You are in Chicago, there has to be someone on this forum with a VAG in yuor area? post in local forum maybe,

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

And don't ever give any business to that Goodyear place again.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

As much as I appreciate the advice, my oil changes cost alot as it is, I use full synthetic and the A6 takes more oil, comes to about $80. My local goodyear shop is also very reliable, and I've never had any problems with them. I once changed my oil at the dealership and the bill was outrageous, over $100. I don't think its worth spending that much for an oil change on my 6 year old car, which is pushing 70,000 miles.
Now as for the actual issue at hand, The car only shakes when I brake the car. Only when it is about to stop though. Suppose I was driving at 60 and braked to 50, there would be no problem. But, if I was at 20 and slowly braked to 0, the car would shudder as I approached 5-0 miles per hour. Also, for some reason my location is wrong. I live around Dallas TX area.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 AM
2nd Gear

I am betting on warped rotors.

Quick Reply: Could it be the transmission?