Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could it be the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear

FYI:

A DIY Oil change in Canada cost more than $80 (not counting the labor hours).
(with some real oil and real filter...).

Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

This is a CVT right? Search for CVT shudder

Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

YOu probably need new rotors.

and stop giong to Goodyear and I am ure you can find an Audi Indy shop that will charge you under 100$

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help guys, and around here the only shop for Audi would be the dealership, as much as I would love to change the oil myself, or take it to some pampered shop, the truth is its an older car and I don't feel like I should be pouring money into it, because someone feels one place can change oil better than another.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

DK,

I think some of the people are asking why you can't crawl under it and pull a little plug, drain the oil, unscrew a filter , screw on a new one, and pour 5 or 6 quarts of oil into that big hole under the oil fill cap.

If that is beneath you, well, keep on keepin' on. Go pay for the convenience. Getting your hands dirty would probably be beneath you.

Go pay the bill.

Cheers,

George

Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

I had the shaking problem , very similar to yours. The squeaking happens when the wheel is turned in reverse, but mine is all-wheel drive. The shuddering you are having sounds just like what I experienced a few months back. I had a misfire problem. The most common cause of a misfire is a plug or a bad coil pack. I replaced the coil pack on cylinder 4(the one that was misfiring, according to Autozone scan) and the problem immediately went away. A week or so later, it came back. I found out the brand of coil pack I bought wasa known to have problems, especially with the 2.7t motor in my car. I figured it was a faulty coil, so I had it swapped out for a Beru brand, sure it would fix the problem, but it didnt. Iwas going insane for 2 weeks...Re gapping the spark plug,cutting back insulation on the harnesses, checking for a bad wire etc...Finally, thanks to someone on this forum, was suggested to check my ICU's, or as Audi calls them, power control unit's. There are two of these(on top of the airbox in my car) one for each bank, one controls cyl 1, 2, & 3, the other 4, 5, & 6. I swapped them out, and noticed I was now getting a spark on cylinder 4, and none on cylinder 1!!!! problem solved. First get a free scan at Autozone, or Advanced, and I bet you have a misfire. If you do, it shouldnt be a big, or super expensive problem to fix....Hope this helps, let me know

OH yeah, everyones prob right about the shaking while braking, most likely warped rotors. The shaking while stopped, and the shuddering/jerking while in reverse could definitely be a misfire though...

Last edited by marcb0127t; 01-15-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: I'm retarded
Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

^^ good post. I'm going to take it to a shop and have it looked at. Not goodyear, since everyone swears this place will kill your car. Besides, they don't know what the problem is anyway. I will take it to a Eurosport automotive shop, specializes in fixing Audi/BMW. I'll let you know who was right.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 PM

No no it is not warped rotors, my car does it too! It pops in and out of gear when I am almost stopped completely, it will do this also when I start the car and put it in reverse.. Like a bump, bump, bump. Then I notice as I start to back up I feel "bump, bbbbbbbbump, click" then it's fine. Cold warm, whatever.. Sometimes it's even in limpmode when I start it.

Note, my car is a Quattro 1999 A6 2.8

Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Update: I took it to some indy place "German Autowerks", the guy gave me a bunch of BS. He handed me a piece of paper talking about fluid and stuff like that, and told me it was the computer. He said I would have to take it to the dealership to reflash the computer. He also, said there were no trouble codes. This car is giving me a lot more trouble than I bargained for, I'm thinking I should just trade it in and get that Infiniti I've been wanting.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

A computer was going to be my guess, either the ECU or the Transmission control unit. I have seen two A4s FWD with the same issues that you are describing, reflashing the computer didnt work and it ended up needing to be replaced, quite expensive I believe. Let us know if you get it fixed and exactly what it was!

Quick Reply: Could it be the transmission?