Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a couple of problems with my a6

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Default a couple of problems with my a6

ok first its a 2001 a6 2.8 non quat.

first problem. i replaced my altenator about 2 weeks ago cause my car shut off on me while driving so i went to advanced auto parts to get the battery tested. after a little they said altenator so i changed it and slow charged my batttery over night. every thing was fine but now my car is having problems. the battery light camr on and the voltage meter is reading around 12 volts. i took a 2 hour drive and about half way through it went back up close to 14 volts. on the way back it stood at 12 volts and the battery light is back on. the car is slowly dropping the volts and i dont under stand why.

next problem. the rear drivers side window when i go to roll it up some times it does some times it doesnt. it will go up slow and kind of get stuck and then roll right back down, then other times it will go a little bit up real quick and come right back down. i thought it was off track but it does not seem to be.

problem number three. the interior lights come on at random. i was looking for door pins or some kind of magnet but i cant find it. where is it located or is there a simple fix for this.

now heres something i heard today and dont know if its true. i went to get an alignment today cause i got my wheels and tires installed and they told me something that didnt sound beliveable. they told me they couldnt do my alignment cause after they adjust the toe, camber and caster they have to take of the steering wheel and re center it ? i dont know to belive this or not. i have had alignments before and no one has ever told me that before so they said i been getting robbed this whole time.

now last question. like i said i got my wheels installed and now i need some chrome lug bolts cause the factory ones dont look that great, can anyone give some advice to where i can find some.

sorry for such a long post but this is all happening at once and i really dont know what to do.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM

i can help you out on the allignment but the other things sry. I have done an allignment on my A6 the other day at my school auto tech shop. I had postive camber and moved it back to zero and there was no need to take off my steering wheel and center it. (and even if you were to take it off wouldnt the airbag go off) I personally think that they are bs ing you ...... thats my 2 cents

Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Figgy1682
ok first its a 2001 a6 2.8 non quat.

first problem. i replaced my altenator about 2 weeks ago cause my car shut off on me while driving so i went to advanced auto parts to get the battery tested. after a little they said altenator so i changed it and slow charged my batttery over night. every thing was fine but now my car is having problems. the battery light camr on and the voltage meter is reading around 12 volts. i took a 2 hour drive and about half way through it went back up close to 14 volts. on the way back it stood at 12 volts and the battery light is back on. the car is slowly dropping the volts and i dont under stand why.

next problem. the rear drivers side window when i go to roll it up some times it does some times it doesnt. it will go up slow and kind of get stuck and then roll right back down, then other times it will go a little bit up real quick and come right back down. i thought it was off track but it does not seem to be.

problem number three. the interior lights come on at random. i was looking for door pins or some kind of magnet but i cant find it. where is it located or is there a simple fix for this.

now heres something i heard today and dont know if its true. i went to get an alignment today cause i got my wheels and tires installed and they told me something that didnt sound beliveable. they told me they couldnt do my alignment cause after they adjust the toe, camber and caster they have to take of the steering wheel and re center it ? i dont know to belive this or not. i have had alignments before and no one has ever told me that before so they said i been getting robbed this whole time.

now last question. like i said i got my wheels installed and now i need some chrome lug bolts cause the factory ones dont look that great, can anyone give some advice to where i can find some.

sorry for such a long post but this is all happening at once and i really dont know what to do.
1) The battery may have a bad element and doesn't hold or accept a charge anymore. Go to a different store (AZone, O'Reillys, Napa, etc) and doble check your battery.
The new alternator sounds to be fine if the meter kicked back to 14 v for a while. If it was bad, then probably you shouldn't have been able to drive only on the battery for 2 hrs.

2) I bet you have a window regulator problem. It isn't the window off track, it's probably the cable off the plastic guides, which maybe worn out.

3) Have no idea what to tell you. Some otherS experienceD the same problem as you have, so I'm sure they will chime in.

4) Taking off the steering wheel to be centered is bs. By adjusting the tie rod(s) to the proper toe angle the steering wheel should come back to its center position with the adjustment. Caster and camber should have nothing to do with the steering wheel.

5) I came across lug bolts on Ebay, on ECSTuning.com, RockAuto.com, etc, etc.

Last edited by chefro; 07-04-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

You can buy the window guides for $5 each on ECST or German parts online. There are 2 in each door. You just have to take the door apart. Not too tuff a job. The dealership wont sell you the clips, they want you to pay $200+ for the whole assembly.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Site Moderator

^^The dealer will sell you the clips, but the clip trick only works for the front windows, not the rears. When the rear regulator goes out, the whole regulator has to go.