Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:25 PM
1st Gear
Default CV Joint replacement issue

I took my a6 2001 quattro to a mechanic to replace right (passenger) side but after one hour he could not open pinch bolt... i thought it was an easy job and any mechanic should be able to do it... I dont want to take it to a dealer ... does anyone have any instruction on how to do it so may be I can find a good mechanic who can easily do this job rather than paying the dealer big bucks...

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Are you talking the snap ring that goes after the gasket and the joint? A snap-ring pliers should take it right off. VW161 is the tool.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

pinch bolt. 16mm on both sides. I have heard people had hard time getting it out... although my boots are fine but I dont know why it is making a click sound when i turn...

Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

what i did was get a hex nut that fits the threading of the pinch bolt, start threading it on, then cut the head off the pinch bolt and start turning the hex. it slowly screws it out...IF all goes well.

first one i did worked like a charm, out in 15 minutes....second one i reused the hex nut (big mistake, buy a new one for each side) and it broke the pinch bolt.

look up a thread of mine called "pinch bolt disaster"...to give you an idea of what can happen. i still think it is the best method, BUT you need to make sure you get some sort of movement from the bolt before you go cranking on the hex nut...i.e. dislodge it with a hammer, pb blaster, heat etc...

Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

also i have a whole front passenger side axle assembly (genuine audi) up for grabs...i heard it is easier to replace the whole thing than just the boot, but i don't know for sure. i got it because of clicking but never installed it because it turned out to be coming from my center drive axle

Old 11-09-2010, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

rehan1212,

Couple of issues here->confusion:

The s.k. Pinch bolt might not be the pinch bolt here!?

16mm? what is 16 mm - the thread size -M16 or the wrench size?-> M10.

Replacing the CV drive shaft requires no pinch bolt interaction.

You might refer to the drive shaft's nut (wheel)?

If you Google -hope you have a some computer literacy- your problem:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel37.shtml
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel58.shtml
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml

In any case -> your mechanic is very suspicious performance-wise...
Consider let him go...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

The breakdown..

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

This one is bigger..

Attached Thumbnails CV Joint replacement  issue-cv.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear

There is no part named "pinch bolt" on your "The breakdown"

As I suspected - you are referring to the "Hex bolt"!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Thanks nemohm... I did google it and found one of the link that you posted... in the following link this guy is refering it as pinch bolt so "There's your pinch bolt. 16mm on both sides... Get the nut off, and tap out the bolt with a hammer" anyways... i m going to take it to a different mechanic and get it done... but i noticed that both boots are fine and there is no leak or any sign of grease anywhere but i still hear the click sound ... is there anyway CV joint could go back while the boots are fine?

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel58.shtml

Quick Reply: CV Joint replacement issue