Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DESPERATE FOR HELP, A6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 AM
1st Gear
Default DESPERATE FOR HELP, A6 won't start

Hey guys, I am in need of urgent help desperately. I bought a damaged December 2004 make Audi A6 2.4L V6 (Current shape classified as 2005 model) and have repaired the whole car fine with no drama at all. Problem is now the motor will not start, it has been taken to numerous mechanics and audi service centres and no one knows what is wrong. Basically I need a manual or information as to how the engine works and operates in this car, however Audi do not release this information and when I have found some sort of download it always involves paying. I am stuck really bad and don't know what to do anymore, basically the car wants to start it has kick in it just does not generate enough spark to start up. Any suggestions would be FANTASTIC and diagrams or information on the engine even better. Thanks a million, Mike.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: DESPERATE FOR HELP, A6 won't start

sure it's not just the keys that need reprogramming?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

Well all that audi told me was thatthere was something wrong with the motor? They are not sure however and want $1900 in labour on its own to just inspect and pending on how long it takes maybe more. Canthekeyspossibly be a solution, has that happened before?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

well I had a prob 3 weeks ago with my A6.

I wanted to go away one of those evening, and I couldn't start the car anymore.
But actually it wasn't doing anything at all, I mean no power although battery was 100% ok.
Turning the ignition wasn't doing anything basically.

This happened the evening before I had to bring it to the garage for maintenance lol
So, the next morning I brought it to the garage, someone first came to pick me up with a truck and so we drove there.
Took them 1 week fto figure out what the **** was.
Apparenly some electronic device where you put ur key in was screwed, also the keys had to be reprogrammed or something.....

Not sure you have the same issue though, if you can ehar the engine tryign to start then uit's already different. My prob was really in the ignition box.
I couldn't even remove the handbrake because of that.

good luck man

Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

It might have something to do with the security system that you will need to reset using a VAG tool. The audi place should be able to do this......does any security light are anything blink in the dash as you try and start it? With wrecked cars reprogramming keys or resetting the security system usually takes care of the problem.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Audi told you there was something wrong with the motor?
lets step back a little here, what was the damage you repaired to your car? you say there is a low spark at the plugs which means the immobiliser isn't the problem ( engine turns over but no start ) is the fuel pump working? is there fuel to the plugs? if not check the fuel pump relay and fuses

Old 10-23-2007, 05:01 PM

Hi people....

I have had this probem with my 2nd audi now, but only this weekend fixed it in my garden and without incurring any costs!!!! I have been going round the bend trying to find a solution - and now that i have, i felt i had to let the users of this forum know..I just hope that this issue resolves all those audi owners who have this same problem.

Under the steering wheel, it is possible to take off the case (including the cover above the steering wheel too) this involves a couple of philips screw heads and 2 star screw heads. Once the covers are removed, you will see the ignition barrel which the key fits into. There are 2 plugs which should be immediately visible on the barrel, one yellow and larger, and the other black and smaller. I found that when pushing the smaller black plug it moved by several mm and made a clicking noise - hence proved that a loose connection existed. To prove this further, i unplugged it - and the immobiliser light kept flashing (hence no start), but upon replugging it securely and putting in the key and turning it, the immobiliser light did not flash at all - and the car started straight away afters days of not starting, and since then, it has NOT let me down :-)

This was a easy and simple resolve, and I hope it helps.

Regards,

Shahdil.