Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Diagnostic tools

I have an extended cranking problem upon cold start on my 2006 A6, as well as a poor operation after cold start. My dealer indicates they find nothing wrong with the car, when I know there is something wrong. [I spent 16 years as a vocational automotive instructor and four years as a dealership mechanic prior to that, so I have some ability. I don't have much experience with electronic fuel injection, however.]

A friend who runs a garage in a neighboring state concurs, it cranks too long, and he suggests diagnosing it and fixing it. He would do that for me on another trip to visit, but I am either proud or stubborn enough that I would like to do it myself.

I need to buy some tools. An OBD tester or scanner, and a kit to measure fuel system pressures. I have been out of the trade, effectively, since 1990 or so, and am behind in being properly equipped.

My question; what is recommended as a best OBD tool that would have other, broad applicability, and what is suggested as a good source for a universal fuel system test kit that would be good to buy?

Also, if I fix this myself, does anyone have experience that suggests that would effect any warranty work later? I have taken the car to the dealer four times already, and they are just over an hour away, so it is not practical to just keep taking it back and have them not fix it.

Suggestions on what to buy?

Last edited by bigsnowdog; 04-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

your best bet is a bentley repair manual for a couple hundred which gives you indepth details and the ross tech VAG COM scanner tool/program. the cable plugs into the obd2 port and the other end plugs into your computer, most likely need a lap top. go to rosstech's website (google it because im not sure) and look at the program they give you a small demo. from there you install the free version and can order their cable for 249 or somewhere around there which gives you access to their full verion. if you only plan to use one lap top order the vag come cable off of ebay for 30 bucks and order the activation code for the free version for $99 dollars.

- this book and program are considered by the sticky at the top of the forums page to be a must have for all audi owners/ do it yourselfers.

GOODLUCK!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

btw i quickly saw your other topic, bentley does have a paper version of their cd rom manual. i believe on the ross tech website they have a link for it somewhere.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear

Snowdog,

You did not post the year of your car. My recollection is that you are driving a C6 (post 2005 A6). If I am right there is a TSB issued by Audi regarding the well known cranking issue. Drop me a PM with your e-mail and refernce the prolonged cranking issue and I will e-mail you the TSB with the fix.

Kevin

Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin
Snowdog,

You did not post the year of your car. My recollection is that you are driving a C6 (post 2005 A6). If I am right there is a TSB issued by Audi regarding the well known cranking issue. Drop me a PM with your e-mail and refernce the prolonged cranking issue and I will e-mail you the TSB with the fix.

Kevin
Thank you for pointing out the omission of the year. It is a 2006. I corrected my text above and sent you a PM, as per your request.

I have heard of this service bulletin but did not know how to access it. Thank you for your reply.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by madman1234509
your best bet is a bentley repair manual for a couple hundred which gives you indepth details and the ross tech VAG COM scanner tool/program. the cable plugs into the obd2 port and the other end plugs into your computer, most likely need a lap top. go to rosstech's website (google it because im not sure) and look at the program they give you a small demo. from there you install the free version and can order their cable for 249 or somewhere around there which gives you access to their full verion. if you only plan to use one lap top order the vag come cable off of ebay for 30 bucks and order the activation code for the free version for $99 dollars.

- this book and program are considered by the sticky at the top of the forums page to be a must have for all audi owners/ do it yourselfers.

GOODLUCK!!!
I do not own a laptop, and certainly not a PC laptop. I can borrow one if I need, but hesitate to spend money for software to use on something I don't own. Are there any other OBD scanner/reader devices that might also have broader applicability that would be good to own and not require a laptop?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear

- One option

- If you have a money-full weheelbarrow available, you can get into professional-grade scan tools.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

i think your only other option besides that is buying an actual scan tool. they can be very costly and not only that but you still need to buy audi software after spending the money on one. i believe my mechanic said his costs him around 4500

Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bigsnowdog
Thank you for pointing out the omission of the year. It is a 2006. I corrected my text above and sent you a PM, as per your request.

I have heard of this service bulletin but did not know how to access it. Thank you for your reply.
YGM

Kevin

Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM

I don't know anything about code readers / diagnostic tools, but I am in the market for one as well. Would one of these types from ebay work? item numbers - 170316373199 & 390042251088.

Like BigSnowDog, I am reluctant to buy something I'd have to us with my laptop, if a hand-held can do the same job. Any more info on the scanners would be greatly appreciated.

H.
BTW, I drive a 2003 A4 Cabriolet 3.0

Last edited by HerbyJr; 04-05-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added Vehicle

Quick Reply: Diagnostic tools