Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference in values, NADA and KBB..??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Default difference in values, NADA and KBB..??

I was looking at a real nice 2003 A6 4.2. I thought the guy was advertising high at $15k. Looking the car up on KBB in excellent condition with sport package and nav with 75k miles is around $10k. The same thing at NADA is coming in around $14k.

What gives with the $4k difference?

What is the car really worth?

BTW, the timing belts have NOT been done yet.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

Like most things in life, it is WORTH only what someone is willing to PAY for it. It doesn't matter how much you paid or what you think the value is. Or whether you are upside down on your car loan. That being said, it is best negotiating from low to high vs the opposite. So regardless of how they derive their prices, take the lower value and factor in mileage, condition, and deduct something for the TB, then make a reasonable offer. Be willing to bump it up or meet them halfway. Don't pay more than you can afford and build in a condition that it gets checked out by a mechanic at your expense (if you have access to one).

I was interested in a 2003 A4 3.0 two summers ago -- listed at $15k with 79k miles. Test drove it. Told him I would think about it and went on vacation. Came back 3 weeks later and it was still for sale. Went and saw it again and offered $13k contingent on my mechanic inspecting it and that it needed brakes and a TB. Since he had it on the market for almost two months, he accepted my offer. It still lists at close to $13k in KBB.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM

We bounced a few emails back and forth. I asked him about any service records and told him the KBB was around $10k. He countered and said "nothing was wrong with the transmission or timing belts" and told me the car listed for around $15k on NADA.

I came back again and told him that the $1500 timing belt service needed to be done soon (car has 77k) as well as at least a tranny flush and maybe more dependent on what I find. I then told him I could go nowhere near the $15k as an offer.

He countered again saying the price was negotiable.

I told him I would go as high as $11k after I test drove the car and looked at it. Then I thanked him for his time. Haven't heard anything back.

The car is on Ebay with a $19k buy it now and a $15.9k starting bid.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM

A couple of months ago I picked up a black on black 03 A6 4.2 for $7500 off of craigslist. The car has high mileage (134,000), but was meticulously maintained by the original owner at the dealer. The car is mechanically perfect, body is also perfect without even a single door ding, paint is good, and the interior is excellent. The inital asking price was 8500 to give you an idea of what they're going for on the low end.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
3rd Gear

KBB and NADA prices for Audi are way too high. They assume it is thru a dealer with the dealer putting a few bucks into cleaning it up, doing all the required work, and giving a warantee for a few months or more. The private party prices are a joke!

A 2003 is now 7 years old - it WILL need at least $3,000 of work soon, and will be worth well under $10,000 in a few years (maybe as low as $5-6,000). Do the math and you'll see that it is only worth about $8-9,000 today -- $15,000 is a lot ot pay for an ego trip!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Amen to the last poster. One thing I can add to that is that regardless of what you pay for the car, if this is a stretch for you in any way, you're getting in way over your head. It will definitely need at least $3000.00 in maintenance/repairs soon and even though the timing belt is kinda a one-time shot for many buyers and won't be part of the maintenance costs every year, be ready to spend a large amount of time and money on this car. Average costs at a dealer is $5000.00 per year. Average through the aftermarket varies greatly upon who you go to. As with any average, some are less and some are more. Some are a lot less. Some are a LOT more.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM

How much can go wrong with it? I am typically looking for a car with timing belt service done, possibly trans replaced or at least fluid/flushed a few times. Also, control arm replacement. How much more typically is going wrong to spend that kind of money?

I have spent the last 10 years replacing various items on my Mercedes. I have done 95% of the work myself and have saved a ton of money. I realize the A6 is a little different beast but I'd like to give things a shot myself. A lot of people on here jump up and down about how great these cars are but when someone like me comes along they tell me to get ready to open my wallet.

So what else could I be getting myself into?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
3rd Gear

Just read the ongoing list of problems people list in this forum and you'll understand what we are talking about.

If your are mechanically challeged you need to have really deep pockets or a really good friend that is not challenged.

If your a mediocre DIY you need less-deep pockets, a good indy shop, a second vehicle while trying to figure out what is wrong, patience, and a good parts source.

If your a great mechanic you'll still need all of the above and will soon learn the satisfaction of keeping the beast running.

The rest of us are idiots trying to have fun - Just ask our wives!