Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Display in Dash Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Default Display in Dash Issues

I have been looking for 4.2 A6s. Both of the ones I have looked had had about 70K miles and the display on the dash (with the temp, mph, odometer, etc) was showing missing lines of display. Is this a common problem? Does anyone know the price for getting this replaces?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

I have also wondered about this. Mine has 70k on it and no sign of this malfunction. My friends a4 with about 120k on the other hand is missing several lines of screen. .... Whats the fix for this, new cluster?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mrjosep
I have been looking for 4.2 A6s. Both of the ones I have looked had had about 70K miles and the display on the dash (with the temp, mph, odometer, etc) was showing missing lines of display. Is this a common problem? Does anyone know the price for getting this replaces?
What years are you looking at?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear

Fix: modulemaster.com or a similar company which replaces the LCD. I had mine done and it is perfect now! Cost $170 total including shipping. Do a search (google: "site:audiforums.com xxxxxxxx") and you'll find a lot more info.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM

2000 - 2002

Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

from what i've gathered this is a very common issue, there was a sticky somewhere about having audi remedy this.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by nm3210
Fix: modulemaster.com or a similar company which replaces the LCD. I had mine done and it is perfect now! Cost $170 total including shipping. Do a search (google: "site:audiforums.com xxxxxxxx") and you'll find a lot more info.
I'm glad to see this as an option!

A new cluster can be very, very expensive! I think the previous owner of my A6 turned off the info screen most of the time as all LCD lines work... knock on wood... the missing lines seem to occur on nearly 50% of the cars from the early 2000's in my experience.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210

nm3210;

Their website claims 2-3 business days turn around time for cluster repairs. What was your experience?

My 2000 A6 2.7t needs the data screen repaired too.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DOC ODDY
nm3210;

Their website claims 2-3 business days turn around time for cluster repairs. What was your experience?

My 2000 A6 2.7t needs the data screen repaired too.

Thanks.
It took me a total of 13 days (friday to a thursday). Day 1 was me taking the cluster out and sending it in (this was the longest process, i didn't want to pay for overnight shipping), and then Day 13 was when I received it in the mail and then installed it.

Just keep in mind that it's located in a kind of remote location (NW Idaho), so it does take a while to get there. They are fast on their end, it's just a matter of getting it to them in a reasonable amount of time. If i recall correctly it took them about a week to get my cluster, about two days to fix it, and then two or three to get it shipped back. Just keep in mind that these are all business days.

Here's a video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLcUF5rG60k You can see that the contrast isn't that great, but it's not terribly distracting at night (at least you can perfectly see it during the day and in the sun!!). If you guys didn't know you can run a scan of all the systems by simply clicking on the left button on the cluster; I believe the engine needs to be off, but with the key turned (not sure if the engine is required to be off). This is in the owner's manual so it's not like it's secret information.

Last edited by nm3210; 01-09-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Data display

nm3210;

Thanks for the info. Mine is a daily driver and essential for my travel to work. I could probably do it, but two weeks would be difficult.

I would probably spend the extra for overnight, both ways. Of course, my dealer could do it in an afternoon, if I was willing to spend $1000. I could still rent a car for a week and get the display repaired, and still have about $400 left over for other projects.

I really appreciate your video, good quality repair.

While the data display isn't essential, it is a nice convenience.

Quick Reply: Display in Dash Issues