Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distasterous A6 2.7T finally out of my life!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Default Distasterous A6 2.7T finally out of my life!

What I really hoped would be a great buy turned out to be a disaster but eventually with a good turn of fortune, despite costing me an arm and a leg. The 2000 A6 2.7T's bodywork and interior finish are pristine but from the start (bought late April 2007) I have had problems with low boost and excessively high fuel consumption, getting no more than 500km to a tank of 70 liters, despite tippy-toeing. The rightbank'sturbo was failing and both had to be replaced. The extended warranty decided to pay only a misearble amount and I would end up with a ZAR 26 000.00 bill (work that out at USD 1.00 = ZAR 7.10). Even reconditioned units that were decided on, would still cost a lot of money, some $2000.00 (for the sake of those who need the price in USD).

When I took the A6 to the Audi agents for its turbo replacement on Monday 30 July, I saw a pre-owned A6 2.5TDI with only 60 000km on the clock and thus another 40 000km of the 100 000 km warranty left. It's the same colour as my current A6 but is a late 2004 model. While it does not have the excellent Bose sound system, seat position memory, quattro drive system, and a few other small items the 2.7T has, these are minor. I never used the seat position memory anyway and found the electric seat's forward position change too slow. I am also the only driver and so do not need the seat position memory. The TDI's traction control; excellent interior and exterior condition; brand new Yokahama tyres; sun roof; 40 000km in which all services are paid by the warranty; and PEACE OF MIND won the day for me. Of course the much lower fuel consumption is fantastic - 13 - 18km per liter on diesel is miles better than the 7km per liter I was getting on petrol.

The test drive immediately dispelled any doubt about diesel engines. The guys at Audi Menlyn, Pretoria, South Africa, accepted the 2.7T as trade in while still lifted on the ramp, engine and gearbox removed, waiting for the reconditioned turbo units to arrive. Since they have the full service record, they know what they are getting. I am taking delivery of my TDI on Monday afternoon, 06 August and it was put through its 80 point predelivery inspection on Saturday. The 60 000km service was done on 27 June 2007. Audi are simly including the cost for the current repair in the purchase price of the TDI and to a sudden and massive expense has been take care of. Also, they are giving me a huge discount on the service as a kind gesture.

What I will miss for now, but no doubt get out of my mind soon, is the quattro drive system - it really is nice to sweep through a bend with no effort. Oh, and the quattro badging. But then the faulty turbo on the 2.7T did not really allow me to enjoy it.

Of couse, had I come across this excellent forum before purchasing the 2.7T, I would have seen that the 2000 model was particulary prone to mishap and turbo failure. I will keep the forum updated on the relationship with the TDI, knowing that our American forumers do not have access to diesel units.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Default RE: Distasterous A6 2.7T finally out of my life!

it is unfortunate you got a rotten egg but it happens and normaly down to poor mainantance with previous owners but the TDI is very cheap to run

Old 08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Well you should have better luck with this one, good luck!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

excellent write up andrieso...........I have just recently bought a 2.0 TDI (07) and love it. I had the ECU upgraded to minimise the turbo lag and increased the bhp from 140 to 176. ( Maybe someting you could consider?)
I travelled some 347 miles the other day, then 329 miles home and the trip was saying I had 48 miles left in the tank......around 720 miles total. Most of the driving was at 75-80 mph with a couple of blasts at 100+. Careful driving should see around 800 miles to a tank, although 95% was on motorways I should stress.
Just as a side note, when I took delivery I asked the parts dept for a 3.0 badge and a quattro badge for the rear, as well as a quattro insert for the dash just above the glove box. Once badged as a 3.0 Quattro, no one can tell the difference...lol

Enjoy!

Jim

Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

I want a 2.5TDI audi! Why can't they have those in the states. Stupid importing.... but as for the quattro, without it, your car is front wheel drive, it's like owning an acura with class. I don't think I could own a front wheel drive car. rear or awd.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

Congrats on your new purchase. One of my previous vehicles, with lots of fond memories of, was a Turbo Diesel. Just fill it and go.

I'm finally having to get rid of it, not due to engine or gearbox trouble but electrical fuel pump issues that are on the pricy side.... Oh well...

Anyway, enjoy your 2.5 TDi.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Update: Got the 2.5 on Monday afternoon after excellent service by the local Audi dealer (anyone from Pretoria, South Africa could do themselves a favour and take their vehicle there if it is convenient). I was treated like the recipient of a new car. Of course this is how Audi SA handles all of their pre-owned vehicles. We currently have a fuel crisis in the country and so I had to find a service station with diesoline. Other than that a quick trip to a client showed the TDI to be extremely quiet. The interior is so well designed that noise from the engine bay is minimal. Handling is great and while the absence of quattro drive is notable, it's not somthing that I will sulk about. The on board computer says I should get another 900km on the available fuel after already having driven about 150km. This is impressive. Compare it to 500km max that I got on the 2.7T. Driving was mixed city and open freeway. Note that I am not slating the 2.7 as I believe this could be a great car. Mine though was less than satisfactory despite a perfect service history.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Seattlea6...........I own a AWD Jag and have driven quattro too.....all very good n all that, but NOTa necessity to have, just a nice option for some.
Obviously its great for wet greasy roads, snow n ice and traction in general, but it can also take away the real pleasure of throwing it into a bend and actually " handling" it.........not letting the car do all the work.

Hey Andrieso and congrats on your new car.........you'll just be more n more impressed as time goes by I promise you. If you ever hanker after anymore power there's always a chip / ECU upgrade that will amaze you for the cost!
Enjoy

Jim

Old 08-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Jim, It's Friday now and after some 300km I have barely reached the 3/4 level of the tank so I am on to a really excellent first tank. I have to do two fairly long trips this coming week that should see me getting 1200km on a single tank of fuel. This is really impressive. And now that I am getting used to the handling characteristics, hey, this is one great piece of machinery.

While the TDI was at the local agents today being fitted with anti smash and grab coating on the windows (crucial from a safety aspect in South Africa!) I was given an A4 DTM to have a bit of fun. It's completely unlike the A6 in character. This is a racer indeed. But for my length it is simply too small, there's no decent rear view vision when reversing, and my son sat in the back like a sardine in a tin. Nice to play with for a while but once I got behind the whell of the A6, I was home again!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM
3rd Gear

Wow - that is super-impressive gas mileage. I had a similar experience several years ago in Germany with a diesel 3-series BMW (I don't think it was even turbo'd). My uncle had a turbo diesel Mercedes 300 seriesand even though he did not take good care of it, itran foralmost 20 years and 300,000km when he died.

I was very impressed with the small turbo diesel cars in Europe and would consider one here, but the answer to power seems to be throwingmore displacementat it. I was recently in Brazil and they, too, run small cars with 1.0, 1.4, 1.8, and 2.0 engines - many of which are flexfuel for gas or gasohol.What I like about the 2.7T, it's a relatively small V6 that has a lot of muscle due to twin turbos.

Good luck with your new ride. I'm not sure if you'll really miss the quattro unless you push it on a twisty road. And I doubt you need it for snow - maybe you're planning to take it on safari?