Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock assembly failure??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear
Default door lock assembly failure??

after i park my car, the windows jus roll down by themselves for no reason...while im driving i constantly hear the door locks including trunk lock clicking, and the dome light flashes off and on....had it checked the mechanic assures me its the door lock assembly and its a $400 job total......would the door lock malfunctioning cause all of my windows to jus roll down by themselves everytime i shut the car off?? mechanic didnt even connect car to computer...could it be a electrical? ....2001 a6 2.7t 75k

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear

I can think of a couple possible reasons. The first of course being the door lock/latch itself, second being the central convenience computer.

I think the easiest way to test the door lock/latch (if no vag-com is present) is to remove the door panel (drivers side) and disconnect the latch wiring harness. If your problem disappears then the latch is the problem.

I personally believe it is probably the latch/lock. It controls the lock/unlock, and can put the windows up and down. That and they are known to fail.

How handy are you?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

thanx for ur response...well handy...somewaht...dont really mess with autos too much..now u when u say lock/latch is that the same as lock assembly? i failed to mention also that when i use keyless entry remote all other locks function except drivers side door lock..this has been going on for some time...and now the problem with windows.. so far what i did notice is that if i dont try to lock car the windows will not go down....but the security wont be armed either.....also i hear taking the door apart is relatively easy however the reassembly is a nightmare...would i have to take door off of hinge to fix if i decide to try myself? lining door back up can be pretty tricky too

Last edited by bornnation29; 06-27-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear

I found removing and replacing the door cover/card to be very simple. Yes the door latch/lock is the same as the lock assembly. You would not need to take the door off it's hinges. You basically remove a few screws, then lift the door cover/card up and off of the door, disconnect the wires going to the speaker, windows switches..., then it's off. I find that reassembly of the A6 door card is probably the easiest I have ever dealt with.

As for actually changing the door latch, that is more involved. But if you simply want to disconnect the latch wiring that is simple and once the door card is off you will see the wiring harness to disconnect.

I can't say whether this would be easy or difficult for you. I have been working on cars for a long long time. It might be worth your time to simply pay the money and have the shop do it. I changed my drivers door latch last year, it probably took an hour or so. I don't remember too much about it other than it was boring work, nothing difficult, nothing too easy.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 PM

From 1997 on, the locking system is OBD, however you need VAG-COM to get any error codes. A generic OBDII scanner will not work. You may get VAG-COM from www.ross-tech.com .
I have a 1996 A6 which unlocks the doors while I am driving. It seems to be either a switch or wiring in the driver's door. Since the locking system is not OBD, I would have to test the wiring per instructions in the BentleyPublihers.com CD Audi shop manual.
However, I have not had the windows lower issue, but I once had the car lock itself. I have unlocked the car and had the engine not start, followed by the alarm going off.
You may go to www.vagcat.com to get pictures and part numbers, however this site is for the European Audi so it won't work for parts used only in USA, such as emissions parts required by the EPA.