Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doubts in my dealership - timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Doubts in my dealership - timing chain

2007 A6 3.2 with 162000 miles. Meticulously maintained by dealerships. I am the second owner, since 114K miles with never any problems (and I know problems- I had 2 A4s before this with the 1.8 and 2.0). All the service records included. Two weeks ago my idle went rough while driving. My gas gauge has the typical A6 sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't so I figured it might be running out of gas, thats exactly what it felt like. That wasn't the problem. I drove it to the dealership and they had it about an hour before telling my my timing chain jumped, probably 8K to fix it. They charged me $80 for diagnostics which means they just charged me for plugging in the code reader. I drove it home, sulked and bought an A5 while my A6 sits in the driveway, it still runs and drives. Problem is, I don't think it is the timing chain. The idle has straightened out, there is no engine noise but I still have a MIL. My receipt from the "diagnostics," did not include the codes they pulled, which typically they put down for me. The dirt/grease in the engine compartment was not disturbed so I know there was no real "poking around" that went on.

Last November, they told me that the seal around my torque converter needed to be replaced, that it was no big deal they would order the parts and tell me when they were in. They never called so I reminded them to get in touch with me when they came in. Never heard from them. The issues I had seem more consistent with a failing torque converter than a umped timing chain and from my understanding, more problems arise from the torque converter than a regularly dealer maintained A6 "jumped timing chain." I will be bringing it elsewhere for more thorough diagnostics and hopefully repair because I prefer the A6 over the A5.

If anyone has experience with a jumped timing chain, can you describe it- how the car felt, sounded? Likewise for those with a bad torque converter? (In the past the dealership gave me an A6 loaner car that the chain had jumped and I drove it for a couple of weeks and can remember how that felt, the idle stayed rough, got rougher, would stall but maintained full power.)

It just isn't settling right with me and my dealership seems to have lowered standards lately around diagnostics and thoroughness, my last A4 would continually go back to them when they didn't get it right the first time- or second time. I know I know I shouldn't still be going there but I am.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Here is an update:
I had the car towed to another repair shop a couple of months ago. I was planning on having them put a new engine in the A6, and provided them with the dealership diagnosis. They were also skeptical. In 45 minutes they had the car ready to go. A clogged solenoid. $125 and 45 minutes they had the car on the road. No problems since.

As for the A5 I bought in the meantime, she has become the garage queen, as the old A6 with all those miles- still drives like a dream and is much more refined than that A5.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 cam chain

Originally Posted by kyliefrancois
Here is an update:
I had the car towed to another repair shop a couple of months ago. I was planning on having them put a new engine in the A6, and provided them with the dealership diagnosis. They were also skeptical. In 45 minutes they had the car ready to go. A clogged solenoid. $125 and 45 minutes they had the car on the road. No problems since.

As for the A5 I bought in the meantime, she has become the garage queen, as the old A6 with all those miles- still drives like a dream and is much more refined than that A5.
Kylie - which solenoid was clogged?