Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECT stuck. Running out of time HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:28 PM
1st Gear
Default ECT stuck. Running out of time HELP!!

Hey so right now I'm trying to replace my ECT with the o ring and stuff and I got the u clip out but now the ECT will not budge. I have the necessary stuff removed to gain access but this damn sensor just won't budge. I need the car back up and running by Monday as I return to work then. What can I do or use to get the old sensor out. Thanks

2001 Audi A6 Avant quattro 2.8 V6 178,200 miles

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

You will have to wiggle it back and forth. Once you are certain the ECT sensor's retaining clip is fully removed there is nothing else holding it in. Sometimes the existing O ring may prohibit the sensor from coming out easily, which is probably what you're experiencing now.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

Hmm even if the o ring is bad it can hold it nice and tight? The retaining clip was out by the way

Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

Don't forget this thing has been through countless cycles of getting really hot, then cold again, and back and forth. It's going to be stuck in there pretty well, especially if it's the original one from when the car was made.

Is this the upper or lower ECT that you're replacing?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't be surprised if its the original still. Im replacing the upper ECT thats ob the rear coolant flange behind the passenger side head

Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

That's what I thought.

This may sound crazy, but have you tried removing it with the engine warm? Obviously, do not attempt this if you have first not depressurized the system or you will be in for a scalding. With a glove slowly open the expansion tank until you hear the pressure being released then continue to open it all the way up. It's probably best to wear a long sleeved shirt, safety glasses, and even use a rag in your hand while doing this to really prevent any burns. Then try and remove the ECT.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

Hmm engine warm? But wouldn't that lower the boiling point of the coolant and cause it to boil suddenly? How would the engine heat help?

Got me curious here now

Last edited by SubaruHyundaiAudi; 01-06-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 AM
2nd Gear

Well if is is exposed to 1 atmosphere (No pressure aside from the air above), then yes, it will boil at a lower temperature.

You don't want it at full on operating temperature, though. Just enough to warm the coolant and its passages up. As you know, things tend to expand when warm; you might have luck and have an easier time when things are warm (Not hot).

In short, warm up the engine a little, turn off the engine, release the pressure that may have built up, and then attempt to remove the ECT sensor.

You may find it difficult to get the sucker back in evenly. It took me two times last time I did my upper ECT sensor. I guess it's at such a weird angle that it's a pain in the *** to get in and out. Oddly enough though, you really don't need any tools to do this if you've done it before.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

O man about the difficulty on putting it back its its already a pain to reach it even tho I have rather skinny wrists my hand has a tight squeeze even with the air duct removed. it definitely is in a tight awkward spot. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend with the instructions you have me. Hey by the way since you mentioned the lower ECT should I be concerned about that one and replace it too or should I just leave it alone?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

Yup, it's not easy to reach, but I'm fairly confident that the second go around I could possibly even do it without remove the intake flex tubing. Ok... Maybe I'd need to remove that for fear of breaking something.

Well, to start, why are you replacing the top ECT sensor? I would only change the bottom one if it were giving you issues (IE: Not telling the aux. fan to turn on when it's supposed to). They are fairly cheap to replace and fairly easy to do as well. Would it be a huge waste of money? No. But would it enhance performance? Probably not.

Quick Reply: ECT stuck. Running out of time HELP!!