Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine cooling fans

Alright, on my 2001 Audi A6 2.7T, I have some problems concerning the cooling fans. Neither one of them are kicking on now. I have disconnected both fans and hard wired them directly to the battery and they both work fine. Also, I have replaced the fan switch. I also tested the volts at the wire harness connectors right by the power steering resivour. I am talking about were the wire connector from the fans connect to the connector that is attached to the car. I have roughly 12 volts there also. That tells me that the 40 amp fuse is good to go as it was when i looked at it. So now I am stumped. The next thing that I am going to try is taking off the bottom noise shroud and disconnecting the coolant fan switch and try to bridge the connector to see if the fan turns on. So here are my questions, where do I go next? What do I test? The fan on the front of the car behind the front bumper was turning on, all the time and making a whining noise, so i replaced that and now the new one doesn't turn on. Tested that fan and it works fine. What switches are bad? Also, when underneath the steering wheel looking at panel 8, I saw the 40 amp fuse, but there are no relays in spot 2 and 3. I understand that the cooling fan switch turns on the fan on the engine side, but what turns the fan on behind the bumper? OH yeah, forgot to mention that I just installed these fans that I purchased from Force 5.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

You provided a lot of great info, but I think it is best to start at the beginning.

What prompted you to replace both your fans? I see one was always on and make noise...any ideas why it was always on?

Is your car overheating? Are you turning the A/C on when testing the fans, 1 of them comes on shortly after the A/C compressor turns on.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

well, i noticed that the one fan was not kicking on this summer and was causing my car to overheat when i would sit in traffic. the other i wanted to replace due to the fact it sounded like a fighter jet taking off. The jet engine fan would kick on when i turned the a/c on, but i disconnected the plug that i mentioned in the original thread by the power steering pump and now it is not turning on either. once i plugged it back in, it didnt turn on with the a/c. so i disconnected it again and tested the power, and it was there. Were do these wires go from the connector by the power steering res, It looks like they go down by the tire well? Also, do i have the cooling fan control unit? To me, it sounds like that may be the issue. Thanks for the reply!!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

Please any takers?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

No one has any ideas?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem if anyone can help please do.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

I am in the same issue.

I have a 2001 4.2 a6

I went in just to get my due service for water pump and timing belt.

The mechanic noticed after that repair was finish my aux fans bearings where going bad. He Could reach in and move it with his hand and it would kick on. Ended up replacing the aux fan. After the repair the fans would only turn on when the a/c was running. They would not turn on to high and would only run low and the car eventually starts to overheat. So he think it blew my Fan control Unit. Ordered a used one off ebay hooked that one up. The front fan came on when I started the car. But the new aux fan nothing. Ended up hooking up the original Fan control back up and the fans again only ran with the a/c was on. I have another control unit coming in the morning. I am really hoping this is the answer. I will also be looking at the fuses as-well.

I am about 1500 in repair right now. And its really killing me.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

I know this is a old post. But to help anyone who comes across it here is my answer.

If you apply direct power to the fan, please use the proper gauge wire. These fans run off of hertz and require a nice heavy gauge wire if you run directly to battery or expect some melted mess. If you have 1 fan working and 1 not and both work when directly wired.

1.) Thermoswitch

2.) Fan Control module

9/10 times its the Fan Control module. I have burnt out 2 with my aux fan getting jammed up. I learned the hard way by replacing the fan, it was again the fan control module. For anyone that doesn't know where it is, pull the from carrier off and 2 nuts hold it to the front of the frame rail, sorry peeps it is not able to be removed any other way. What I did was put a replacement one up with zip ties and next time I had the front end off removed the old unit and replaced the with the new one.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I have 2003 Audi A6 with 3.0 Both of my fans are not running. Car runs at about 210 degrees. Any one knows what I should do. Thank you, Greg