Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil - synthetic or conventional?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine oil - synthetic or conventional?

I got my 50k service done at the Audi dealer yesterday and I was looking over my receipt and the part number for the engine oil that they put it in my car is: ZVP-000-300. I did a quick search online and now I am not sure that this oil is synthetic. I was charged $3.10 per quart and they used 7 quarts. Isn't that price a little too cheap for synthetic oil at a dealer?

Assuming that it was conventional oil, will there by any side effects if I put in synthetic oil the next time around? Are there any precautions to be taken (like a flush with synthetic, maybe?) before I start using synthetic motor oil? Does conventional and synthetic oil mix?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine oil - synthetic or conventional?

This is a soap-box issue for me, but I'll try and remain calm. For the record, most so-called synthetics come from crude just like conventional oils.

That said,syntheticsare completely compatable with conventional motor oils and no precautions are necessary for the change over. Just drain and fill.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

No side effects from using conventional oil. It's just not something you want to keep using due to engine build up. No big deal, just bring your own oil and filter next time around.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 2.7. I was always told to use synthetic because it would help with the turbo life. It still costs over $50 to do and oil change when I do it myself.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Maybe someone can clear this up for me, I forget which does which, but I had heard either synthetic or conventional oil makes your seals swell more than the other, so if you switch theywill shrink and cause small leaks. Any truth to this?

Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

I can't say it is a non-issue, but the chances of this happening now are very slim. Synthetics are now formulated with seal swell agents to keep seals in good shape.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear

The swelling also seemed to be more of an issue with 'older' vehicles switching to synthetics. Not sure of the reason for this either.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Ive never had a problem with synthetic oil even on high mile older cars as long as the right weight is used and that's why there are 2 categories of synthetic ( full and semi ) full is used on the newer cars and semi on the older ones but synthetic is without doubt the better choice and its proven

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 AM

conventional oil is petrol based and often the cause of sludging if not changed regular like 2.5k miles where as synthetic has a longer life plus its better for the engine

Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Synthetics also resist heat better than conventional oils, for this reason I would use only synthetics in turbocharged cars.

Be aware there are three classes of base oils which can legally be called synthetic; Group III, Group IV, and Group V. Group III base oils come from crude and are far less expensive than Gp IV or Gp V, alsothey may not offer the same benefits. In the end however, one can formulate a fine oil with any of these base oils.

Quick Reply: Engine oil - synthetic or conventional?