Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE POWER LOSS - ANY IDEAS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Default ENGINE POWER LOSS - ANY IDEAS

Please some one can u help, I really cannot afford to go to the dealers already got robbed of money from them. I recently purchased an a6 1.8t, 2000. I previously owned an a3 1.8t and never had any issues however the a6 is causing me some concern. The car seems to lose power during high speed motorway cruising, it seems to pull back slightly I push the accelerator and nothing but when i eas of the gas it shoots forward again. This was mainly limited to motorway?highway driving. However just recently I am getting the same problem on local raods if i am in 2nd or third and take the car to 5-6000 rpm i get nothing the car just accelerates extremely slowly (feels like im going backwards) and now it also begins to judder and again same thing ease of the gas slowlly and it shoots forward. Does this on a regualr basis.

From what I have read on the forums it might be a MAF problem or the TBB it seems like i can clean the sensor before i try getting it replaced, problem is I cannt find the sensor all the posts and pics I have seen are for an audi A4 or a 1997 A6 mine looks different to the pics posted.

From the air intake next o radiator if u follow it back to the air filter housing there is a chip or something sat on top of it i undid this and it was ectremely dirty but have no idea what it is? Then i followd one of the air pipes from the air filter box down towards the radiator and found a circular device attached to it no bolts or screws just a few clamps, is this the MAF sensor?

Old 09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ENGINE POWER LOSS - ANY IDEAS

i have the same problem with my 1.8t, i am almost sure its a boost leak. with the 2.8, i cant help you...

Old 09-07-2005, 02:51 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2.7 TT, but it sounds like its doing what mine did. In mine's case, it was a ripped throttle body boot (TBB). What happened was at higher RPM (hence higher boost), the rip opened and dumped the boost, and that caused the transmission to shift oddly and shudders and thumps through the drive train. The TBB is common fail point on the 2.7 TT.. not sure about the 1.8.

Easy to check, it should be just before the intake manifold, after the intercooler. U might even find some very slightly oily pipes/area if there is a leak. (The boost air often has a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of oil in it.)

I changed the MAF before I changed the boot.. There was a waste of $118.00. The MAF was the dealers diagnosis... idiots... It was actually a few guys on the board the suggested the TBB. There is a thread on it here if you search for TBB.

Hope that helps, let us know.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:53 AM

it was the MAF, took printouts of the possible problems to local mechanic (dealer is way too expensive). £120 and got a new MAF fitted, he checked TBB pipes they were ok.

However driving car back home the temp gauge shot up, turned it back round and back to garage the water pump had gone that was another £150. Thats all i needed.

Any way its up and running now lets hope it lasts a while.

I put some RS6 wheels onto the car looks good but oh my word where does the fuel go????

Thanks for your help every1 this is a great site.