Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essential spare parts for an A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Essential spare parts for an A6

I've recently joined this forums and have been following along, and it seems like there are at least 2 particular parts that need attention: CV boots and ignition coils.

Is there a list of problematic parts or things that A6 owners should be particularly mindful of. I don't mind babying the car - I just dont know what I should be looking for or what to expect?

(I for example, have a 2002 A6 3.0 quattro with 57k)

Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Tie rod ends, inner and outer seen to fail...all the bushings in the front suspension. I've been through my rear suspension with 111k and its all still pretty tight with no bushing wear.

Pretty much the entire front suspension is highly wearable, more so than a regular road car.

The good thing is suspension problems are easy to diagnose. If it moves, its bad.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

cv as you said ...... watch the steering rack for leakage ... I personally haven't had any issues with my coil but those damn cats man ......... grrrrrrr

Old 08-24-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Eric_C
Tie rod ends, inner and outer seen to fail...all the bushings in the front suspension. I've been through my rear suspension with 111k and its all still pretty tight with no bushing wear.

Pretty much the entire front suspension is highly wearable, more so than a regular road car.

The good thing is suspension problems are easy to diagnose. If it moves, its bad.
How exactly do i diagnose suspension problems - with the CV joint, one member here gave me an excellent tip: "Turn the wheels all the way to one side, get on the ground, and look up into the wheel well"

When I did this it became clear as day that my CV Boot was ripped, and I now know a very easy way to check for this condition in the future.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
Default hearing knocks or clunks from your front end when you go over bumps

or driveways usually means worn control arm bushings. Apparently the original bushings are weak. New control arms and tie rod ends have been improved, so you probably get much more life out of them.
The coolant expansion tank develops cracks, and there is a plastic t-fitting near there that will probably break when you replace the tank. I used a brass replacement from Kragen.
The crank case breather system on the 2.8 can clog, causing oil leaks. Not sure if that is an issue on your engine.
Buy a set of ramps to do your oil changes. It makes the bottom cover easier to remove and replace, and you can look around for oil leaks.

Last edited by ryuuoh; 08-24-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 PM

The steel exhaust manifold studs and exhaust pipe bolts corrode so badly on older Audis, that they often will shear off, etc. Either use antiseize lubricant on the threads or replace the studs, bolts and nuts with stainless steel.
I have a 1998 A6 Quattro wagon and a 1996 A6 Quattro, which require that the catalytic converter be removed to check the central differential fluid level or to replace the shaft seal.
Have a container of power steering fluid, some Audi anti freeze and some Audi ATF, as many dealers are closed on weekends.
You may want to stock one of each brake hose, if you have old brake hoses. Auto stores often have to special order these.
Certain bolts and nuts have to be replaced, per the Audi shop manual CD. Many Audi parts are not stocked at the dealer and must be special ordered.