Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault transmission range switch

Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear
Question Fault transmission range switch

hi
got codes today from my 2003 A6 2.5 SE TDI V6 TIPTRONIC motor, only 79k on the clock

code is
17090 P0706, also showing F125

i had the codes reset

on the dash all the gears are flashing, it is not in limp mode as i can get her to go through all the gears, sometimes in reverse it feels as if the clutch was slipping.

can i fix this myself? what do i need to do?

please any adice on how to fix or repair.....................many thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Site Moderator

P0706
Transm.Range Sensor Circ Range/Performance

Replace the TR switch.
To do that you need the radio removal keys to pull the radio, take out the A/C control head, the ash tray, pull up the trim around the shifter, remove the shifter ****, then pull up the TR switch. Im sure you can find a DIY on the web if you google it.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by auditech79
P0706
Transm.Range Sensor Circ Range/Performance

Replace the TR switch.
To do that you need the radio removal keys to pull the radio, take out the A/C control head, the ash tray, pull up the trim around the shifter, remove the shifter ****, then pull up the TR switch. Im sure you can find a DIY on the web if you google it.
auditech79

many thanks i guess i can do all of this work, do you know the part number of this TR? is it F125?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Site Moderator

Thats not a part number, a part number kinda looks like 8EO 756 968 or something like that. The part number can easilly be found by calling the dealer parts department with your VIN number in hand, they can tell you what it is over the phone. I highly doubt you can find one of these on the internet though...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Thats not a part number, a part number kinda looks like 8EO 756 968 or something like that. The part number can easilly be found by calling the dealer parts department with your VIN number in hand, they can tell you what it is over the phone. I highly doubt you can find one of these on the internet though...
Hi
found what i believe is the part number 01V919821B, will call a dealer to confirm

i aslo found this link to change the transmission range switch, is this the same job you descripe? by taking the radio out etc etc can i reach this switch once i remove the gear selector?

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=2641952

again many thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
3rd Gear
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro

chefro

so its the same job, my question was can this switch be replaced from inside the car once all the matting and gear stick is removed? or has it to be changed from under the car? many thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Site Moderator

Neither of those are what im talking about, thats a neutral saftey switch. You would need that if you were having a problem actually going or coming into a certain gear. The part im talking about is the electrical circuit board under the chrome shifter plate.
However, now that i look at your post again i see that it seems like its hard for you to engage reverse gear, in which case that is the part you need. Chefro supplied you with the correct part for replacing that. Now if that part doesn't fix the car, you need the electrical TR switch that i was talking about. Since you have problems with reverse, its more likely the neutral saftey switch like in the write up.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

auditech79 and chefro

many thanks for your feed back, just a little more information

these flashing dash lights has been ongoing for about three weeks and the car drives well, no problems, only once when i put the car in reverse did i notice that the car was slow to drive back wards.

only yesterday did i get the codes checked and this is what it came up with, this is how the engineer wrote it down and maybe in a different order

FAULT TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR
17090 F125 NOT PLAUSABLE SIGNAL
P0706
TRANSMISSION RANGE SWITCH FAULT

the engineer reset the faults but the gears lights on the dash are still flashing but the car drives well.

i need to fix this myself or with the help of others as i am going touring with the car in two weeks.

so based on this information is it the switch on the side of the gear box? or the TR under the crome shifter, do u have a part number for this TR?

once again many thank to both of you for your help

Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Site Moderator

I told you it comes down to what your symptoms are. If you are having trouble engaging the reverse gear (like its slipping) then its the MECHANICAL neutral safety swtich like in the write up. Which is holding the gear out of place/sending incorrect signals.
Or, if you can't engage reverse or any other gear at times when the lights are flashing, this would be an electrical problem from the TR switch.
Based upon that information you have to decide which one to replace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fault transmission range switch