Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on C5 A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Default Feedback on C5 A6 4.2

I am currently looking to buy a used (2000-2004) A6 4.2L. I was just looking for any feedback (good or bad) on the life of the car at higher mileage, things to look out for, or some positive comments to make me not worry about some of the "horror stories" people try to tell you about Audi upkeep!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

i've got an 03 with 85k. no issues what-so-ever. been a fantastic car.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

I have an 00' with 130k on it and the biggest problem was having to replace the ABS unit. havent heard bout that happeneing too often though. Otherwise, just general maintinence stuff that comes along with such a great car. The 4.2 engine it bulletproof, but have heard mixed reviews bout the tranny. you're going to buy an audi, make sure you have at least some mechanical profeciency as it will save you a lot of money. bottomline, BUY this car, but be prepared to put some work and money into it.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 PM

How about mileage? What are some of your best and worst? I live in Maryland and drive mostly open roads without too much stop and go. No big city driving. Any feedback. I am pretty much trying to decide between the 3.0 and 4.2. I am also driving a hyundai now so the fuel MPG difference is a bit of a shock, but obviously the audi is a better car. Just hoping I am not going from 30MPG to a steady 17MPG

Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

on the freeway doin between 65 and 70 mph, ill get 24 or 25 mpg. it drops to 16 or 17 in town/cities though

Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

right now I'm averaging 19 mpg with little or no highway driving (I like taking the backroads in to work!).

At 75k miles, there haven't been any major issues (knocking on wood). Previous owner of my 4.2 had to replace one of the HID headlight assemblies, but luckily it was under warranty for him. Otherwise, the dealer would've charged him $850! Since ownership earlier this summer I've done all the maintenance on it myself including the TB, tensioners, WP, thermostat, serp belt, etc. I also changed one of the driver's side window track plastic thingies.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

obviously try and get the newest and lowest mileage one you run accross on your budget. I had an 01. Fantastic car all around and a blast to drive. No problems out of it other than normal maintanence and a mass air sensor.

I have had heard stories of some of the earlier ones having trans problems....

Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Quick Question....Everything I read says this car has a ton of power and is a blast to drive. Last night I test drove one (and because of other things didn't like it....missing light, missing headrest...that stuff...). Needless to say they didn't take me to any roads where I could really see what it had.... In any case, the few times I tried to punch it, it was a bit sluggish in my opinion. I realize without a turbo, there won't be the torque but, how fast should this car feel if it is driving correctly??? Something just didn't seem right with the one I test drove last night. (I test drove a 06 WRX wagon....and that really seemed to have punch!...but that had a turbo...should the 4.2 seem similar under optimal conditions?)

Old 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

The 4.2 should throw you back in the seat when you punch it. Judging by the fact that the car was missing a headrest and light someone didnt take care of it so it could have more wrong with it. That car should have tons of power. Also, i have seen people change the badges on the cars from the 2.8 to the 4.2 on the trunk. Check and make sure it is actually a 4.2......a longshot but some people do stuff like that.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

The 4.2 should throw you back in the seat when you punch it. Judging by the fact that the car was missing a headrest and light someone didnt take care of it so it could have more wrong with it. That car should have tons of power. Also, i have seen people change the badges on the cars from the 2.8 to the 4.2 on the trunk. Check and make sure it is actually a 4.2......a longshot but some people do stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Feedback on C5 A6 4.2