Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally My Dream Car!! :) Every bit of advise helps guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Finally My Dream Car!! :) Every bit of advise helps guys!!

Just the other day I finally get the chance to buy the car I've wanted for quite some time now! I was looking for a a6 with the 2.7 that needed a little TLC, and thats just what I found! A 2000 a6 2.7T with auto/tip transmission. I have many questions about this car and would greatly appreciate the help I can get, a little help from fellow enthusiast's like myself would be great!

Thanks, Travis!

Questions/Concerns:

QUESTIONS
1: what are some DIY jobs that the cars engine with benefit from? Seafoam, five min engine flush, restore? etc..
2: how much am i boosting?, how can i make sure both turbo's are working as they should!?

CONCERNS
1: hard engagement, (only when shifting into drive)
2: does not feel like a twin turbo v6,
3: power steering works only if I am driving? ( actually works the second I start to move)

Thank you very much, any advise is appreciated!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Honda_Killer
a a6 with the 2.7 that needed a little TLC
Unfortunately there's no such thing as little TLC with Audi...

I wouldn't seafoam this engine, nor flush fluids but just top them off.
The transmission engaging hard could be nothing, could be saying bye bye...only time will tell you what's going on.

If it doesn't feel like a twin turbo, well it depends on you or turbos are not working properly or they have been replaced with chip/used stuff. Again, only time will give you the answer.

Power steering seems to have some problem, check vacuum lines and the PS pump.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM
3rd Gear

ummmmmm... my dream car would have a MANUAL transmission. I thought that's all the big fuss and difference maker about the 2.7 Turboed A6, wasn't it?
Why would you buy an Automatic with laggy or screwed up turbos after test-driving it?
Beats me... Congrats on purchasing your dream car though, nevertheless!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Stock, the 2.7t doesn't feel like much of a turbo car. It's too heavy. There are minivans out there with better power to weight ratios. Also, the gearing is rather tall. It's designed for the autobahn, not the stop light drag way.

And, no, there is no such thing as an Audi that only needs a little TLC. You need a new PS rack (lots of fun to change).

Good luck,

Bob

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear

Please see my comments in red below.

Originally Posted by Honda_Killer
Questions/Concerns:

QUESTIONS
1: what are some DIY jobs that the cars engine with benefit from? Seafoam, five min engine flush, restore? etc..
Seafoam is good, but if you have a high mileage car, then expect some new oil leaks after the seafoam. Audi V6s of this vintage are notorious for oil leaks anyways.

2: how much am i boosting?, how can i make sure both turbo's are working as they should!?
You should be pushing somewhere between 7 to 10 depending on the conditions. Unless you want to vacuum test the intake track, visually check all rubber/hose connections. Many people go to silicone hoses. A boost gauge maybe beneficial if you want to keep an eye on it.

CONCERNS
1: hard engagement, (only when shifting into drive)
Replace your transmission fluid and filter. Do not flush. This may alleviate the issue, but not always.
2: does not feel like a twin turbo v6,
Like everyone already said, you are driving a 2 ton bahn cruiser. I am not kidding about the car being 2 tons.
3: power steering works only if I am driving? ( actually works the second I start to move)
Check the fluid. Fill it with the approved mineral fluid. But most likely ditto on what Bob said.
Keep it maintained and it will treat you well. Expect to save about $100/month for repair/maintenance. Minimum...

Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

thank you all very very much, except you chefro.. I am asking all of you for help on my car, not for your opinion on what you would make different.. I bought this car because im 18, paid 3k for it.. 165000 miles, twin turbo audi a6 quattro.... i am quite familiar with these cars, and have done some major repairs as well, its not leggy just not like a twin turbo should be..

bob martin- thank you for your time, and you have a very good point! this car is a dream at 100+ the turbos are definitively working well however can you tell me more on the PS rack?

hxgaser- thank you as well!, i just ran some seafoam through the engine and it seemed to help. alot smoother on idle, im going to do a fluid filter change.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

the hard engagement issue probably means your torque converter is going bad. do a fluid change and see if anything changes.

you should be boosting at 7-8psi stock. you most likely have boost leaks and crumbly vacuum lines. do a boost leak check and change ALL your vacuum lines. i went with silicone lines from ecs. are these the original turbos? are you diverter valves original? they could be torn

this will help:
http://www.socals4.com/repair/
http://audidiy.com/
http://www.audis4parts.com/

Dont listen to the haters. you can do some pretty decent damage with a tip tranny. you got an a6 its not like they were built for crazy speed anyway.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

I can't really add much to this since I'm running a NA v8 but when I got my car it was quiet laggy as well. I replaced the MAF (throwing codes anyway and cleaner did not help), coil packs and spark plugs - it was a night and day difference. Fuel system cleanup will also help get some of the gunk out.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear

"Don't listen to haters"? LOL....we put labels so easily. It must be an age-related sort of liberty and lingo.
I'm not sure what I "hated", but I guess everybody is entitled to a fart.
I have an automatic car, so I couldn't "hate" his tiptronic.
----------
HondaKiller,
I did congratulate you on buying your dream car, didn't I?
Since you ask me "what would I make different" if I could, then it would be what I already have said: If I would buy a 2.7, then it would be one with manual transmission.
Re-read please your original post and observe what you said as related to twin turbo V6, then you can understand why I asked that rhetorical question concerning the turbos.
If you understand (and I would be disappointed if you don't), then you can explain the same thing to Fonzo.
Once again, Congratulation on your purchase, especially since you're only 18.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear

my bad. in hind sight i did get a little to zealous with my comment. just thought you came off a little condescending after this guy just posted his excitement over his "dream car". i see your side though chefro.

As for what sheldon said, i agree 100%. i did the ecs stage one fuel efficiency kit and the beru coil packs. i just got a spare set of coil packs from fcp groton for $110, which is ridiculously cheaper than the beru's, but i haven't tried them out yet.