Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default First Mod

Replaced the stock air filter with a K&N yesterday. Without a manual and proper tools, it wasn't too difficult, although, I had two minor issues.

First, the K&N didn't quite seat right inside the air filter box. I had to bend the actual filter a bit and it still didn't seal properly until I managed to get the clip on securely. Which brings us to the next problem.

The clip on the interior back side of the filter box was difficult to re-attach. Between the small amount of space between the box and the hoses and wheelwell/firewall, and the K&N filter not seating well without pressure, it was hard to get my hand back there and apply enough pressure/leverage to get the clip over the edge of the cover.

Granted, I didn't have the manual and used only my hands for tools, this wasn't too bad. The most time consuming part was waiting for the engine to cool once I returned from the parts store.

So far, I haven't felt any serious gains. I imagine the most significant gains will be seen in fuel economy.

Next up, EFK!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: First Mod

You can reattach that back clip with a clothes hangar believe it or not. Just make a tight hook at one end of the hangar. It works for me.

Do not jump up and down, you will not feel much with a K&N. It will breathe better but thats about it!

OOOO

Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 AM
1st Gear

The K&N don't really advertise much on the fuel economy gains. It depends on customer to customer.

I have a full K&N FIPK on another vehicle. Made zero difference to the fuel economy. Sounds great though.

The main reason in my opinion to buy the K&N filter is that it is re-usable and you don't have to keep changing it, especially if you drive 28-30k miles a year like me....

Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

get ready to replace your MAF...

Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

i had the same fitment issues....i took the entire box assembly out...not hard at all...and it fit fine....id redo it ...u dont want there to be any gaps and have something get by it...also like the last guy said....they sometime screw up maf's due to the oil on them....so wrapping the filter in a newpaper or paper towel to remove the oil is a good idea

Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

Yes, I forgot to give you the part where you can avoid this, (sorry if I sounded like an ***) if you just take a rag or the last comment, a newspaper. and dab off excess oil. you should be fine. I hate that they cause damage to MAF because I heard you can hear the turbo better through them and I would just love that, having two turbo cars...also it may make sence to me being that my Air filter in my A6 got tooo dirty and killed my MAF anyway. haha

Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs up to the previous replies!

When I clean my K&N I set it on newspaper for a good 30 minutes. I have had 0 problems! Most people cause their own nightmares because they oversaturate the filter as well as spraying the oil too close to the filter!

Good Luck!

OOOO

[IMG]local://upfiles/13659/8323A5DB16734607AAF4E2F57518BEE8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

Lots of stories on those K&Ns but most are from cleaning up the filter and using too much oil. Typically not a problem right out ofthe box... in my experience and my friends' with 2.7T engine.
Should not expect any tangible gains in HP or MPG.

I use a K&N without problem.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear

I've run a K&N for a good 35k miles, including a cleaning and re-oiling about 5k miles ago. Zilch difference in performance or gas mileage. My gain may be financial in avoiding buying Audi air filters, assuming I don't glom up the MAF.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 AM
2nd Gear

^agreed, no gains but no issues either.