Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First start after replacing seals, engine noisy

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear
Default First start after replacing seals, engine noisy

I just finished reassembling everything after replacing valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner gaskets, and cam cap seals. Upon first start, the engine is very noisy. I feel sick. What did I do? I didn't let it run long, but it sounds like it's from the valve cover area. Upon reassembly, I did notice the drivers side cam tensioner didn't spring back to take the little bit of slack out of the chain right away after removing the tool, but I rotated the crank by hand a revolution and it appeared to tighten up. Is it possible it just needs some time to pull some fresh oil into the heads? Note, I didn't remove the cams, just the caps required to replace the two cap seals. How easy would it have been for the cams to skip a tooth on the chains? Any guidance?
Gary

Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

try to run it for i while and give som gas..! i had the same on mine. probably lo on oil in the tensioner.. it went away after i did so..

Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick reply beemerfanatic. I started it again, unplugged the sai pump so I could hear the engine, (possibly should have replaced that while I was in there, it's kinda noisy) and using the screwdriver to the ear trick, determined that it is the driver side, but not from under the valve cover (whew!), it's the plastic cover over the timing belt, I did have some trouble getting it back in place, sounds like I didn't quite get it. Gonna get that off again tomorrow and see if I can get it straight and inspect the belt too, hopefully didn't damage it, it's pretty new.
Regards,
Gary

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

I'd say the same thing all of your oil drained out of the tensioer and lifters and it's making some noise. My 3.0 thinks it's a diesel in the morning.

I don't recall you saying you were removing the cams. Something tells me you would have mentioned that. So there really is nothing that you did to effect it, other than not running it for about what a week or two. That's plenty of time to loose all the oil from the heads.

Let it warm up and see what happens.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Jackmup. It has been parked for more than 2 weeks, and I think it was a combination of oil circulation in the lifters/tensioners, and my misaligned timing belt cover. I let it run for a minute or so just then, and the bulk of the noise is gone, only thing I hear now is the timing belt cover, (if I push on it, the sound changes pitch) Should be able to fix that tomorrow, and change the oil.
Gary

Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear

Good news!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Yeah, that cover is a little bit of a pain. The pass side went right on, but I had to fight w/ the driver's side. There is a little "lip" or "edge" on the bottom of the cover that slides over the top edge of the lower cover. I was having a difficult time getting that to seat right and then stay when I lined the top up w/ the bolt holes. Embarrassed to say it took a few minutes, but I got it!! Glad to hear you don't have any major issues.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gwos25
Should be able to fix that tomorrow, and change the oil.
Gary
Great time to run some Seafoam in it before changing to fresh oil.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

Great minds think alike, lol, that's exactly what I had planned to do It's been a busy 2 weeks, seals, spider hose, 710N's and new TBB installed, headlights refinished and adjusters fixed, worn wire on the front brake pads fixed, and I'm going to try to squeeze in a brake system bleed, rear diff oil change, and engine oil change today while it's on the stands already, maybe check my transmission level too, see if it'll take another part quart.