Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Audi owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:41 PM
1st Gear
Default First time Audi owner with a few questions

Hello everyone!

I just bought a 2001 2.8 A6, V6 engine and automatic trans.

1.The center of the dash has a readout but its all pixallated so I need to replace it. Does anyone know what this specific part is called? its between the gauges.

2. None of the dome lights work, the map lights work fine, but the lights that should come on when you open the door do not work at all. The bulbs are good and so are ALL of the fuses. I have also played with switch in the door... And the 3 position switch. Any ideas.

3. I would like to do most ofmy own work on this, not that I am cheap I just enjoy doing my own stuff as much as I can. I will take it to the dealership for service. With that said does anyone out there know of anywhere within a 100 miles of Savannah, GA that also works on Audi's.

I know its an older model but for the miles (81K) and the price (5K) I had to buy it. Other than what I have listed the car seems fine. I have driven it 350 miles straight with no issue yet.

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

On #1 this is a common problem you can get the instrument cluster repaired at BBAReman in Mass. The cost will be about $150 and it will take about one week.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

Hi Chris,

Have you checked the wires for continuity? It could be the wires are either loose or broken.

Congrats on being a new Audi owner. I just bought a 2001 A6 Avant so I'm still getting used to it. It also has the 2.8 V6 which is enough for my needs. Overall a pretty nice car which can carry a ton of stuff since I have the back seat down and removed the cargo area screen.

Recommend you get the Bentley's repair manual. A hard copy for about $66 can be purchased from partsgeek.com. Enter your make and model and search for manuals. There is also a CD version for about $80 or so.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi Chris,

Have you checked the wires for continuity? It could be the wires are either loose or broken.

Congrats on being a new Audi owner. I just bought a 2001 A6 Avant so I'm still getting used to it. It also has the 2.8 V6 which is enough for my needs. Overall a pretty nice car which can carry a ton of stuff since I have the back seat down and removed the cargo area screen.

Recommend you get the Bentley's repair manual. A hard copy for about $66 can be purchased from partsgeek.com. Enter your make and model and search for manuals. There is also a CD version for about $80 or so.
Hey,

I have checked the wiring as best I could, I figured I am over looking something obvious... and thanks for the info on the manuals I will be getting a hard copy one soon!

Chris

Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

does the dome light come on if you open the passenger door ?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Or if you use ther remote to unlock your doors? If yes to either question, it is your door switch. But, since your three way switch doesn't work, that probably isn't it. Do ANY of the door lights come on when ANY door is opened?

Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks for the unput...

but no, opening any of the doors does nothing to the lights. To be clear, I have yet to see any of these lights on yet. But I have checked the bulbs and they check out with a mulitimeter.

thats why I think something is up, as all of them seem dead.

Chris

Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Dome lights

The rear dome lights are known to be a problem. The circuit board comes loose inside and can be repaired with solder. The fronts seem to be sturdy unless the sunroof drains become clogged and then they will get water in them and possibly blow a bulb (or worse).

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM
2nd Gear

Could be that one of the lights has gone bad and blown a fuse. Have you checked all the fuses? Also could be a bad timer, which is, I believe, under the steering column. Let's see, you pull out the top cover just over the steering column to reveal some screws. Remove 5 total screws including one in the fuse panel area and remove the lower cover. The timer is one of those relays, I think.

Bob