Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flashing panel in dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear
Default flashing panel in dashboard

the lcd bit in dash is randomly flashing, it was ok for few days then started again, when on for long enough (1 second) i can switch it of, ive noticed when flickering if it comes up for long enough the OK light is there, when i managed to switch it off i turn engine off and put ignition back on the OK lights does it usual comes on for correct time then goes off,

i dont think it LCD problem due to ok light working fine (when switched off) and ok light comes on when it flashing while engine running,
i not vagged it yet as dont think it will show anything

any ideas (98 A6)

Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: flashing panel in dashboard

soz, at the mo i only get screen fade when it's really hot out side. no missing pixels or anything

Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Possiblyoxidized connections are causing intermittent operation. Open up dash and pull off plugs and put them back on. ( one at a time please ).

This simple removal and replacement will cause a rubbing action on the metal pins of the dash and the metal tabs on the male connectors.

Do it a few times to be sure to really clean off the metal oxidation. This action will at least reduce the chance that the problem is caused by oxidation of the metal surfaces used in the connector/pin arrangement.

Coating the pins with silicone grease will go far in preventing further oxidation. The grease reduces the chance of air or moisture getting to the metal surfaces of the contacts.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

had it out 2nite, took picture for sake of it,
looking on back (circuit board) to the right of screen panel there are what look like 2 rivets BUT has very small circuit coming out, anyway 1 was fine other it way cracked (dry joint) soldered that up and put it back, it behaved better but still flashed, life would be so much easier if had couple more inches of cable to pull dash out more so i can fault find,

will play more over weekend when it day light and do as suggeseted about plugging it in and out a few times but connections are clean.

ran VAG and nothing, done instruments test (screen and analoge) but screen not flashing at the time. is there a module box somewhere that you know of. the sensors gotta plug in somewhere, wouldnt of thought temp ect sensors plugged directly into dash. checked for fuses and it ok, pull correct fuse out and whole dash goes out.

as said it power supply problem as everytime it flashes the OK light comes on, thing had me going mad other night, it connected to the beep thing, everythime panel flashed i got 5 beeps grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, lcd didnt stay on for long enough to see what the alarm was, EVENTUALLY when it did it warning for low water in washer bottle, needless to say i really cussed it coz i dunno if ment to beep 5 times if MAJOR problem, am keeping everthing topped up inc fuel to stop it, bugger is brake pads due soon so i guess it will bleep like mad at me again

Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

the plot thickens.

if you look on speedo, look under the 0 you can just make out a darkend circle little smaller that the 0

that is a light sensor that controls dashboard and all switches during day time. this overides the dimmer control. at night switch ignition on and shine fairly bright torch at it and watch srceens on climate unit, they will get bright.

anyway, if i do this the lcd lights up and behaves, remove the light and plays up.

behing the lcd screen is 28 yes 28 surface mounted LED's to light the screen up (20 for the red section and 8 for orange section)

and for those with dead spots in their screen audi suck, they could of used a thin long jack instead of soldering ribbon to main board )there just about enough room) so if the screen get that bad you caould replace it rather than cough up for whole new dash,

anyway i sussed out there sensor somewhere becasuse it played up to and from work when it dark and checked it several times during the day at screen has been fine. the weird thing is the sensor wired to everything that lights up in car, lights on dials work fine, lights on all switches work fine through this sensor so why not the screen, there must be something in between the sensor and led's causing problem, will strip lcd down again and back track to sensor (god help me)