Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To flush, or not to flush?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Thank you. Audi is full of shitte with thier 'it lifetime fluid'. NO fluid is lifetime.
You know...I own an '06 Hyundai Azera with Shiftronic and even though Hyundai isn't on the level of Audi, I service the transmission between 30-50k miles and none of their techs have ever mentioned the use of a lifetime fluid or anything. If anything, they have mentioned that there's more need to service automatic transmission with manual shift feature moreso than a straight automatic.

A customer service rep just came on and said they recommend following the Scheduled Maintenance Intervals they have posted on their site. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...the plot thickens.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Clarification direct from Audi USA Customer Service Dept. - The scheduled maintenance on the transmission is only for the CVT trannys found on the FWD models only. All Quattro models do not use the CVT tranny and do not require servicing.

This information is direct from Audi Corp, not a dealership.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear

Most civilized people know that it is inconsiderate to not flush after using the facilities...

Flushing multiple times is OK as long as your wasting too much water.

Likewise flushing after completing the paperwork is also proper..

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear

It is nothing at all like a GM or Ford trany service. Or like changing your oil.

You should do it yourself at 100K. Give yourself at least a weekend if you want it right. I suggest not in the summer the fluid may be too warm to begin topping off. You will need a trany filter, Gasket, o-rings, 8L of fluid a Vag-Com, The gravity feed filler- not the pump, Bentley manual and To PM Auditech79 at least 10 times until you get it topped off correctly, Probably pissing him off twice during the process because you were to cheap to buy the right tools. -from experience.

TIP save all fluid that comes out. Carefully measure exactly the amount that comes out. It may have been low on fluid but at least you will have a starting point or idea of the amount. Mine took 6.3L Blauparts sells 5L with there kit ,WTF, Audi under filled mine by almost 2L ,WTF, So I will only do mine myself for now on.

(the following should be in really fine print somewhere in your manual)

The trick; after the initial fill you need to top it off. The fluid expands-ALOT as it heats up so it must be done starting with a cool transmission. Also as it warms up the fluid you are trying to force in there should be approximately the same temp or it just flows across the heated fluid and comes back out, That’s why the blauparts pump sucks. You will need to lay under the car while it is running on top of you up on jackstands while someone else puts it through the gears with there foot on the brake .The transmission needs to be actively using the fluid in order to fill the reservoir to the correct level all before it hits 40 degrees celcius (104F) and expands too much.
If you screw up today don’t worry your transmission and fluid should be cooled down by tomorrow f-ing morning so you can try again. That is why summer is a bad idea.

The secret, You too must learn, HMMM, but 40K you must wait.
May the force of the rings be with you.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Sweet. Thanks for the tips Jackmup. I might try this tomorrow, if not, next weekend. I have all you mentioned, except for the manual and a gravity feed filler (will clear rubber hose and a funnel do?) I have the manual coming in the mail, anything else I should know? Like where to place the jackstands?? :-)
Thanks,
Gary

Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear

Use Vag Com to determine the trans temp... I forgot where to find it and don't have time to search my Bently just now - but it was described a few months ago in this forum. Just do a quick search. Make sure the vehicle is level when you do the drip thing...