Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frist time Audi owner in need of some help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Frist time Audi owner in need of some help!

Hi there, I just recently bought a 1999 Audi A6 with 2.8. Well the info center in the cluster is out and the rpm gauge is also not working. The car lot told me that they would replace the cluster if I bought it so now I'm waiting on them to get it in. OK now for the bad part. When I went back to buy the car they had put it in the shop saying that an oil light that looks like an oil can started to come on(you can see it if sun is at the right angle or you point a light at it at an angle). Well a few days went by and went back to check on it. He told me that they had checked the oil and oil pressure and both was fine. After they checked that they put a new oil pressure sensor and the light still come on. Still they trying to find out what was going on they took the pan off and checked for sludge. After all that the shop still haven't found out why the light keeps going off. Well I went ahead and got the car with them agreeing to replace cluster and fix what ever keeps tripping oil light. Now they believe that the cluster being out is what is causing the light to come on. Now my self have been looking online to see what it is and also doing a little looking my self on the car. Now if you do a system check (while holding a light off to the side to see the center) every thing checks out OK. When you start the car nothing happens. As soon as you put it in gear the oil light comes on and it beeps. Now I can't drive the whole time with a light on the cluster so I don't know if it stays on or now but it beeps from time to time. It only beeps when you take off with a little get up and go to it, but at highway speeds or a steady driving speed it never beeps.
So could it be that the cluster is just not right and trips the light? What else could it be? Any things I could try to determine what's going on?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear

That Audi has major problems..
Pressing the button does not do a system check -it only tells you that the warning light works.

Low oil pressure light on means you have a big problem - could be sensor, real bad oil pressure, or an ECM problem.

Most sludge is in the top not in the pan.

If it were me I'd run the other way as fast as I could.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
2nd Gear

The oil can is a level warning and that car, more than likely, has a bad level sensor, if what they say about the oil level and pressure are true. If it wasn't, well, the engine wouldn't be running by now! Real easy to change. Have them try that (at their expense and before you buy the car!) and see if that cures the problem.

Bob

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help. But I have already bought the car before I posted here. I'm going to have them change the level sensor and I'm going to try to run a oil flush and change oil with a oem filter. Any more ideas would be great too.