Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end squeak - strut bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Front end squeak - strut bearing?

I have a squeak that occurs and is more pronounced at low speed while turning the wheel in either direction. My initial thought is the strut bearing that allows the strut to rotate while turning the wheel. Is this a somewhat common problem? Anyone had a similar problem that could give me guidance? Car is a 2001 A6 2.7t quattro with 90k miles. I am not the original owner, so am not sure what if any suspension parts have been serviced in the past. Is there a way to lubricate or grease this bearing? Also, where is the best place to get parts online?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

Is this a rolling 'chirp-chirp-chirp' type of squeak or a constant 'squeeeeeeeak'?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:52 PM

or is it more of a creaking, does it happen during launch and stopping?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Sorry for the slow response, wasn't getting email from the forum...

It's more of a creaking noise that happens when you turn the wheel at low speeds and while stopped while turning the wheel. I have seen other posts with some similarities, however most of them said they had the noise occur if they pushed down on the front fender to cycle the suspension, which pointed to control arm bushings. My issue does not make any noise while cycling the suspension, only when I turn the wheel, so I don't think it's control arm bushings. I was asking about the strut bearing because a few years back with a different car (not and Audi) I had to replace the strut bearing for similar problem. On that car, the bearing mounted to the top of the strut as a plate, which bolted to the shock tower on the car. When you turn the wheel, the strut turned with the wheel via the bearing. Are Audi's similar in design? Is there a way to grease the strut bearing?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Bump. Anyone got experience with strut bearings and related noise?

Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Does it happen after driving for while? I had this horrible squeeking sound that occured about 20 minutes into my drive. Sound can be produced when I turned my wheel.

It ended up being my tie rod end booth which was torn.
It only happened after driving about 20minutes, im assuming b /c the ball joint became hot due to lack of lubrication.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Hi

I have recently brought a 2.7bi-turbo quatrro and it is doing the same and from reading other posts it sounds to be the control arms but I again only get the sounds at low speed and only when I turn the steering wheel. I will keep an eye on this post as well to see what the experts say!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM
4th Gear

Noise when turning could be the rod ends, stabilizer links, strut bearing, control arms..

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Site Moderator

Am i the only one that doesn't know what a strut bearing is??.......
Do you mean the strut mount bushing? That could cause what you're talking about, the other likely cause would be the upper control arm bushings, that squeak you can replicate by pushing down on the fenders, if you hear the squeak then its the upper control arm bushings.
If the noise only happens when turning, then its likely the tie rod ends.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 PM
4th Gear

Do you mean the strut mount bushing
Ya.. Same thing.

Quick Reply: Front end squeak - strut bearing?