Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrating P0303

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Frustrating P0303

Agree with avant80@2.6...I had the same problem. First, I knew it was the fuel injector becasue it was stuck open and washing the cylinder wall with gas, thus putting gas in the oil. Pull your dipstick and give a sniff. Second, the spark plug was black and wet (dead give-away) and third, I was dumping fuel out of the tailpipe. I switched the injector to another cylinder to make sure. Bingo..new injector. Once this has been replaced run injector cleaner through the system...Slick 50 fuel injector/rail cleaner does the trick well. Lastly, change your oil again. Good luck!!

Old 12-06-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

I swapped #2 and #3 fuel injectors. Lo and behold, the P0302 now instead of P0303. I put some injection cleaner in and some gas. No change yet but, at least I now what the problem is. How long should I give this injector before I give up on it? Also, where can one find the clips for the electrical connector? I drop one. Sure sucks working outside in the cold with poor lighting. Anyone know a good source for a replacement injector if it comes to that?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 AM
2nd Gear

You obviuosly want to buy a new injector. Try your local auto parts guy, then price check with the dealer. Also, see if your indy (if you have one) can get one for you at a discounted price. Other than that, I am out of ideas for ya...Let us know where you got it and at what price.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: prbayha
Let us know where you got it and at what price.
The local "import" FLAPS has Bosch to $200 or a Borg Warner for $80. The dealerships want over $200 and one local independent has a Bosch "maybe a reman" for $150. Considering the time of year, I'm having a hard time justifying the Bosch. Any experiences with Borg Warner injectors?

Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

BOSCH is one of the main parts manufacturer for European Vehicles..they even make windsheild wipers..LOL..I would safely assume that the rest of your rail is comprised of BOSCH injectors. I would also assume they operate the same if they are recommended for the vehicle. I have no experience with BORG WARNER injectors. I am a stickler for having everything the same so I would go with BOSCH. $200 vs. $80 would make me hesitate. The quality and reliability in the BORG WARNER would make me nervous.

Let me tell a story:

I was a commercial fisherman for 10 + years in Alaska. In my 2nd year, we had a bilge pump failure. The float (mercury operated) was stuck closed and so when the packing bearing leaked/dripped (designed this way) it filled up the bilge quickly. Our bunks were downstairs in the bow just forward of the engine room. Well, overnight as we slept the bilge filled up with water due to the float failure and we woke up to 3 feet of water. All of our duffel bags were floating and soaked and it scared the hell out of us at 3 in the morning. Imagine getting out of bed and standing up in water up past your knees. Anyways, when we got back in town, my skipper gives me a check and has my go buy a bilge pump. He says: "Don't break us by buying the most expensive one on the shelf. Pick a cheap one." So I come back with an off brand $150 pump. I install it and it seems to work fine. 2 days later, it fails and we have the same problem all over again. The float switch was faulty. Back in town the next day, I was sent on another mission to get another pump. Same orders--buy cheap. Guess what...failure. I buy another pump--same orders. For the 3rd time this pump fails. Finally, I said "Look, lets quit F***ing around here, and get a quality pump." (which was RULE) I bought the RULE pump which was close to $400. So, we spent $450 dollars on bad equipment, countless hours of cleanup and $$ spent for cleanup supplies, time lost fishing and making money (averaged 2-4.5k per day a man/5 man crew + skipper) laundry bills etc. All of this to save a buck. Hardly worth it. We were upset at our skipper for some time due to lack of judgment. It ended up being a good year though. Anyways, morale of the story...Spend a little extra dough for quality parts that are reputable and you save $$ and heartache in the long run. This was a valuable life lesson that has paid itself off over and over.

I hope you make the right choice..Good Luck!!

Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

I hear ya, prbayha. I'd always PREFER to buy the best but, if there is an aftermarket part that is a good as original but cheaper, I'll take it. As it turns out, I found an N.O.S. injector from the indy that I use for work I don't want to do myself. Got it for 60 bucks and we're back in business. After looking at the plugs and wires, I'm going to need get those replaced as soon as I can swing it.

Thanks, all, for the help - I'm glad to have dug into this problem. I have more confidence to work on it in the future - I already do all my own work on my bus. I might as well save the money on these repairs as well.

Take care,