Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go 'head..be skeptical..but I love 'em! :o)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Go 'head..be skeptical..but I love 'em! :o)

...I'm talking about the Pulstar BE-1 Plugs!

Before purchasing $120 worth of friggin' plugs - I was a good boy and did some homework. Reading testimonies, information, graphs, etc. on these "Pulstar (Pulsating) Spark Plugs." Hell, I even thought myself "Now, how in the world can a spark plug gain you *THAT* much in HP, Torque, AND mpg? It's just a plug..!" So, honestly I was skeptical, as well, but sometimes I do like to live a little. With their 30 day money back guarantee I figured I had nothing to lose.

Well, I received them yesterday from the USPS man and took a little drive down to my folks house where my dad has (like 4) garages and every tool known to man lol. Let me just say...changing the plugs in the 2.7L IS A B1T[H! Damn MAF, Air box, reservoirs, everything is in the way! So being it was the first time changing plugs on an Audi, the job did honestly take me about 2 1/2 hrs...with a 1/2 hr of that spent getting my damn 5/8 plug socket out of the engine bay it dropped into! Luckily once I found where it was, it was reachable from underneath.

Anyhow, about the plugs...I read on here some bad reviews from users, 1 from domino who installed the Pulstars...said the plugs started like **** and the car actually ran like ****. I honestly, dom, don't think you gapped them correctly, bud. For the 2.7 guys, if you do upgrade, MAKE SURE THEY ARE GAPPED TO 0.025!!!! I won't stress that enough. Go to pepboys, advanced, whatever store and spend the damn $2 on a gap tool! lol It's your audi and your baby - don't be a cheap ***!

I also read people stating that on the first fire or two, their cars had trouble starting but then were fine every time afterwards...I didn't have that problem. It could have been due to me installing the 3 pass. side plugs and starting the car to make sure THOSE worked (still with the 3 NGK ones on the driver side); then installed all 6 and she roared alive! I was extactic.
My engine, honestly, between changing the plugs and doing my oil today (using the new formula Mobil 1 Fully Syn 0w30 (Fuel Advancing Technology)) has never idled SOOO quietly! I didn't even know she was running.

So for those of you who don't believe in these plugs - here are some pics.
The other 2.7 drivers will appreciate them most because you KNOW what are average city mpg is! Mine even after resetting, would always settle between 17-19mpg. As far as MTE right after a fill up, it might have said 320...MAYBE 350...til I drove 2 feet & it'd drop to 285 lol Well, let me just say I drove 80 miles today since I filled up at 1pm and my MTE right now after I parked, STILL read 305 MTE! My instantaneous MPG read 34.7 I believe

Enjoy guys and THANK YOU PULSTAR!

(Again, this thread is ONLY my opinion and it is only Day 1 of the new plugs. If I see even more improvement (they claim best results after first 3-8 tanks/fill ups) I will post updated pics. Feel free to comment guys!)

Attached Thumbnails Go 'head..be skeptical..but I love 'em! :o)-pulstar-plugs-day-1-instant-mpg.jpg   Go 'head..be skeptical..but I love 'em! :o)-pulstar-plugs-day-1-avg-mpg.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
4th Gear

I wanna see the tank for tank mileage, not the what the ECU thinks

Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear

So which one is correct: 34 MPG "instantenous" at 7:23, or the average 23.6 MPG a minute later (7:24) with the same mileage?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

Well, chefro, ones 'average' and the other was an 'instant' he reached while driving

Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

I ran pulstars in my lancer prior to getting my audi for about 20000 miles b4 i sold the car. I totally agree with you, these plugs really do help. sooo many skeptics say that theres no difference or its all in your mind but the engine feels soo much more responsive and it idles smooth. it really helps with mpgs as well. I averaged about 23mpg b4 the plugs and 28 after...this isnt speculation this is actual observations i personally made. but like you said MAKE SURE THE GAPPING IS RIGHT!!!! FACTORY GAPPING IS NOT PULSTAR GAPPING!!! this would make the plugs not work properly. You made a great investment with these plugs... pricey but worth it in my books.just keep an eye on them.. some ppl have been known to find 1 defective plug in tieh set from time to time but it normally shows up within 5k miles. after that break in period if no probs your good to go... mine went the full 20k without a problem.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

Chefro, both pics were taken within seconds of the other - only A) the time changed and B) I was parked as I don't take pictures while driving. Your average mpg does not change just because you are parked - esp when the picture is taken within seconds of putting the car in park. If anything, I've always seen my instant and avg mpg DECREASE while idling...I will update you on how many miles per tank I get - but as I said, this is only tank 1. According to pulstar.com and all reviewing companies (betrmpg.com, etc) they claim true/best results will be within the first 3-8 tanks. So really, by my 10th fill up - I'll give you an honest update of how she's doing

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Site Moderator

I honestly think that you could only hope for a 1-2 mpg increase, i use pustar plugs in my truck, although it did idle better, my old plugs were shot so of course it would idle better. I only saw about a 1/2 mpg increase in the course of 10k miles. Thats about a increase of about 2% which is guess you could say over the life time of the plug it would have paid for itself. However thats over my old crap bag platinum bosch plugs that were already shot. Absolutely no noticable increase in horsepower either on my 5.3L V8.
Check this little tid bit of info out. http://www.carbibles.com/productreviews_pulstar.html

Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 AM
4th Gear

The best actual increase I've ever seen for 'new' plugs where Denso Iridiums's... on a 500+ hp engine, they averaged ~2% over all with a high of 5% at peak power. Thats it.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

If plugs can increase gas mileage by 10 MPG, Audi will make you a rich man lol.