Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was going to Trade, now will keep

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Was going to Trade, now will keep

I went to the dealership today to possibly trade my 01 2.7T with 79k miles. The car has brand new brakes front and rear, and a new guage cluster. My motivtion was getting out of repairing the torn cv boots, bad cam seals, leaking water pump, and bad o2 sensor (and doing the timing belt). To make a long story short, the dealer offered 7100 in trade. This isnt alot of money (my tax return was more!). So, after much thought, we are keeping it and want to do the repairs. Does anyone have any experience with someone doing repairs like these on the side? I have already been raped by the dealer for a new immobilizer unit and new guage cluster and cant bear the thought of going back. I would love to save a few bucks while getting my car runing well again.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Was going to Trade, now will keep

timing is a huge job especially if you havent done anything mechanicly to your car before or had any experience doing repairs... check out the DIY section on this forum or www.audidiy.com ... that site is pretty good with pictures and step by step instructions and i believe i saw someone start an o2 replacement thread on this forum a little bit ago

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 AM
2nd Gear

Have you tried car cash or thought about a private sale? It does not make economic sense to spend 40% of a car's worth in repairs.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

If I can make the repairs and drive it into the ground then it will pay off. The primary decision at this point is weahther or not we are willing to keep the car until it dies, or just take the hit now. Also, if I make all of the repairs, to me the car is worth 10k (as long as I can drive it problem free for awhile...like 2 years).

I have seen the DIY section and have checked out audidiy.com and am considering doing some o the work myself. I would love to find an Audi mechanic that would do the work on the side!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Problem free Audi HAHAHAHAHA that's a funny joke. Since I've owned my A6 2.7t I have spent an average of 2k every year on repairs. Most of it being electrical parts. I love the ride and feel of the car but I will be trading in my A6 this year even if I have to take a hit.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

maybe you just got a bad one or dont take good care of your audi ... ive personally owned 2-a6s both 2.7t an a4 2.8 and an s4 2.7t and ive only owned them for about 2-4 years each but ive done suggested work and nothing has been wrong really ... maybe im just lucky though 2k a year seems a little steep unless ur including oil changes and regular maint.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

bazzag:

how many miles per year do you drive to rack up $2k in repairs? what $2k of mostly electrical stuff can go bad?
I'm not joking, I'm serious, as I recently purchased a 00 2.7T with 51k miles and paln on doing 80% of the maintenance myself (timing belt excluded)

Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

I can believe the 2k per year as in the past year I have over 2 grand in repairs (bad immobilizer and guage cluster), and now 3 grand more!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

"If I can make the repairs and drive it into the ground then it will pay off. The primary decision at this point is weahther or not we are willing to keep the car until it dies, or just take the hit now."

I hate to be negative but I used the same logic with my 99 2.8 and ended up spending mucho dinero once the warranty ran out. We're seriously considering trading it in.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear

all i can say is everything is rational ... you buy a 40-60k car and it costs more to repair ... if u buy a civic for 15grand (half the price of an audi) cut the repair bill in half ... audis are marketed to wealthier folk who dont mind paying the price to drive in luxury!

Quick Reply: Was going to Trade, now will keep