Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Deal? 2003 A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Good Deal? 2003 A6 Avant

Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum and am considering buying an Audi A6.
The one I am looking at is a 2003 A6 3.0 Avant quattro with 105000 miles and is being sold for $7000. I know there are some reliability issues with the A6s, so I was wondering whether or not this car is even worth considering, what might be some of the issues in the future, and what will need to be addressed immediately.
I've been scanning the forum for similar posts and have learned quite a lot, but I would like to hear your opinion about this car in particular.
The car seems to be in good condition: the interior is very clean and the outside has very minor scratches. It's loaded like a typical 2003 A6 3.0.
It is being sold as is, and I do not really have a chance to inspect the car since it is a very long drive away.
I would love everyone's input, since there are many knowledgeable people on this site.

Thank you!

Last edited by pidkin; 01-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear

The list...
Timing belt
valve cover gaskets
control arms/ tie rods
and some other small stuff. They are good cars, and the 3.0 is a good reliable engine. But, it is a major PITA to work on, and very expensive as well. Price doesnt sound that great though, there is a 4.2 sedan on here with 77k for 95. Its a few years older, but alot more car. Depends on what you are looking for really.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear

Since you cannot inspect or test-drive the car, before going to shake the seller's hand, you may want to consider the following:

- The best thing to do before purchasing the car is to run a VIN # check.
You want to make sure that you know the car's history: it wasn't flooded; it wasn't involved in major accident - frame issues; it doesn't have a rebuilt title (sometimes are fixed ok, but its value is very much depreciated); it wasn't a police impound; etc, etc....things of that sort.
- Along with the VIN check, you definitely want to learn about the MAINTENANCE history.
When was the Timing Belt last changed? - Along with it, the Thermostat and Water Pump.
Were the O2 sensors replaced yet?
Was the transmission fluid ever changed?
Are the CV Axles (Halfshafts) in good shape? (Mostly the Boots get torn)
When was the last tune up (spark plugs, fuel filter, coils checked, ignition wires)?
What's the condition of the brakes/rotors - when was the last time when they were replaced?
What's the condition of the Cat Converters? Does the car throw any codes?
What's the condition of the Exhaust system? Are the cat-backs and the muffler rusted?
If you can't find out some of this information, then you might need to brace yourself for immediate expenditures related to replacing some of these parts.
It is always highly indicated to inspect/test-drive a car prior to buying it...

As far as down-the-road issues, the more seasoned Audi owners will be better suited to tell you what to expect in the future (oil leaks, differential problems, etc, etc).

Otherwise, for a only 6-year old Audi $ 7000 sounds like a good price. Just keep in mind that the car was "beaten" + 17,000 miles/year! In my modest and unprofessional opinion, any car that was driven in excess of 10,000 miles/yr was driven HARD.... no matter if the miles were only "highway" miles.
I won't step foot in the "driving habits" of nowadays drivers (sliperry and controversial territory), but you should definitely test-drive AND INSPECT this car before you even think of buying it.
My 2 cents.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM
2nd Gear

+ 10,000 miles/year is HARD??????

I do 40 to 50 thou per year.....

Back to the subject of the thread, $7,000 would be fair if the TB has been done. Otherwise, get a quote from the dealer for the TB/water pump/T-stat/chain tensioner gasket/cam seal job. Subtract that from the $7,000 and start from there. Keep in mind though, that you will have to get the above done in addition to brakes, control arms, tie rod ends and valve cover gaskets.

Bob

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

wow thats a deal, i paid 7 for my 99 a6 with 150k on it.. and it was well worth it.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
+ 10,000 miles/year is HARD??????

I do 40 to 50 thou per year.....

Bob
Don't mind me Bob.
I feel guilty I even brought about it, hence the disclaimer concerning a discussion about driving habits as being a "slippery slope"...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Find out what wholesale is. Either offer that, at most, if you have to have the car, or KBB private sale price, minus about $3000 because you are going to have to do the TB, WP, control arms, etc. etc. You can do better with a lot less mileage if you are patient. Always be willing to walk away and you will get your price or, if you don't get the price you consider to be the right price for that particular car, you won't be burned down the road. And if you buy an Audi, get a good warranty insurance policy because you will need it.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

i just paid $8995 for my 2000 2.7T/6-speed manual Audi A6 with just under 94k miles. LOTS of records and receipts came with the car; hell the timing belt, water pumps and tensioners have already been replaced twice and the control arms as well. this thing has been babied. the guy i bought it from was literally in his late 60s or early 70s. the car is like new inside/out.

personally i would hold out for a 2.7T or 4.2L V8 A6, but then again $7000 really doesn't sound bad if it was taken care of. if the owner has records of timing belt/water pump replacement etc. i might go for it but i myself would need more powah!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

i agree 100 percent with twinturbosedan, i bought my 99 a6 2.8Q with 150k and im the 2nd owner, mine came with alot of records as well so i felt good about paying 7 grand for mine, and shes been the best thing ever. i find that the older they are they better the quality and the longer it will last. just because times were better back then and things were built better.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

thanks a lot guys for evryones input! ill def consider everything said. also, thanks for pointing out the rides you got for comparison!

Quick Reply: Good Deal? 2003 A6 Avant