Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight assembly or new bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default headlight assembly or new bulb

For the last 1000 miles or so my left blinker randomly would blink fast but then go back to normal for 95% of the time. Then it started blinking fast most of the time and randomly worked normal sometime. Now the left lowbeam is out. My question is would the bulb starting to go cause the fast blinking or do you think I need a whole new headlight assembly. I know I should (and probably will) just replace the bulb and see what happens but i was here for another question and it is pouring outside so I figured I'd ask. - Jared

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Default RE: headlight assembly or new bulb

I would check the connector on wiring near the headlight first - it should sit on its place. Then check bulb pins - it should be clean.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: jchaffee1

For the last 1000 miles or so my left blinker randomly would blink fast but then go back to normal for 95% of the time. Then it started blinking fast most of the time and randomly worked normal sometime. Now the left lowbeam is out. My question is would the bulb starting to go cause the fast blinking or do you think I need a whole new headlight assembly. I know I should (and probably will) just replace the bulb and see what happens but i was here for another question and it is pouring outside so I figured I'd ask. - Jared
Probably the Hazard flasher/Signal flasher combination switch in the center of the dash. Low beam is likely just a coincidental bulb failure. See my post in the following thread for replacing the Hazard switch: https://www.audiforums.com/m_705692/tm.htm

Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear

oh, nevermind.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the bulb was a coincidental failure as I replaced that today and still have the left blinker problem. It sounds like from the other posts that when the relay was bad their blinkers weren't working at all. With mine the blinker and all the lights work, it just blinks fast. Would you think that this is still the problem? I went for an oil change recently, told him about the problem and he said I need a new headlight assembly. He said he pulled the connector and cleaned the contacts and that made it work for a day or so but then went back to blinking fast. I read from another post about getting a new socket...wasn't sure if it was the socket for the main connector or what...is that easy to replace?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear

The socket is the socket that the bulb plugs into. They get burned up and cause the light to work intermitantly. I would replaced the turn signal bulb and socket and see how that works. Ocassionaly the terminal in the headlamp where the socket goes will also melt requiring a new headlamp. Considering the price differeance i would try the bulb and socket first. That socket is entirely different than the elctrical connector on the back of the assembly with wire going to it.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Well i went out to try and look at socket connections...pulled the back cover off, seems impossible to see anything around the blinker bulb/socket. I could get to it but i didnt' want to pull anything since i couldn't see. Then i tried to pull the main connector out of the socket and I couldn't for the life of me get it out, is there a tab on the underside?...didnt' spend too long trying cause my hands were freezing, but after i put the cover back on i tested the blinker and it works normally now (for how long who knows), so I guess its some loose contact with the main connector.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

The blinker bulb and socket isnt inside the headlamp assembly. You dont have to remove that back cover to acces it. Removing it will make it easier thou. The socket twists into the outside of the headlamp right behind where the turnsignal bulb is. There are no wires going to it. The contacts for the socket are on the headlight and on the socket. Those contacts are what burn up. Its in a really bad spot and is a pain to get out. You can barly get your hand on it.