Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Headlight Questions

I have searched around and around but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. What type of headlights do I have? I have a 2001 2.7T. They show blue when I first turn them on and then go white. I want the high end blue tint look like the other German vehicles. I installed an HID conversion kit on my motorcycle and let me tell you, the 8500k are BRIGHT!!!! Also, are they self-leveling? I've seen them on some Audis.

Oh yeah, also I want to upgrade the fog lights. What are you guys using?

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Headlight Questions

If they change from blue to white when they warm up you have 4300K, which is standard for stock vehicles. 4300K will give much more output than 8500K...that being said, your headlights do look very purple to people coming the opposite direction due to the projectors. If you still want them more bluish, I wouldn't go any higher than 6000K bulbs. And yes they are self-leveling.
For fogs, some go with a 4300K HID kit and some go with 3000K, which are yellow...it depends on your tastes and if you want your lights to match, or if you want them to contrast (either way looks awesome).

Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

Sounds great. Now the type of bulb would be what? H7? Is it safe to assume I won't have to replace my ballasts for the increase in bulb output? What brand of fog lights do most use? What is DS2?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still a little new to the car (3 weeks today).

Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

You should have D2S bulbs (that's the socket type)...H7 is for Halogen bulbs. Your ballasts will be fine, your not increasing wattage just the kelvin rating. For fogs, it's your preference...some go with PIAA, Hoen, Sylvania etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Okay. 6000k DS2 bulbs and 6000k H3 bulbs for fogs. I don't think I've even looked under my hood since I bought the car. Are the bulbs hard to change? My drivers side headlight gets moisture in it. I may have to replace it soon anyway. At well over $220 to repleace it with stock, I may go with an aftermarket set for only an extra $150. I haven't seen anyone here with them yet.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

You can fix the moisture if its a sealant of the housing that is letting it get in. You have to just take it out, take it apart, apply new sealant and you should be good. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...egory=LightingYou can get the other DS2 bulbs here $169 for blue tintish is not worth it in my opinion, better wait until they burn out then replace, thats what ima do anyways. Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

To change the bulbs: Unclip the metal clips holding the black pastic cover. Pull cover off. Twist theharness out of the socket and remove the bulb from the harness. Install in reverse. Make sure when you install the new bulbs not to touch the glass or it will create a hot-spot and burn out quick. As for headlights, since you have a 2001 you can fit Allroad headlights in and they look sick on A6's.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: slee22

To change the bulbs: Unclip the metal clips holding the black pastic cover. Pull cover off. Twist theharness out of the socket and remove the bulb from the harness. Install in reverse. Make sure when you install the new bulbs not to touch the glass or it will create a hot-spot and burn out quick. As for headlights, since you have a 2001 you can fit Allroad headlights in and they look sick on A6's.
X2, also if your going to pull off the housing to fix the seal, might as well and do a clear turn mod, looks nicer IMO.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Slee22 - The Allroads do look nice. But if I decide to replace them, I'm going to get the headlights with the halos. No those will look really sick. Especially if I hook the halos up with the fog light mod to run as DRLs.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

Cool, post pics when you get 'em in. I would like to see the angle-eyes in action on an A6.

Quick Reply: Headlight Questions