Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP!!!!1

I have an 99 audi a6 2.8l v6 quattro and have to replace either the thermostat or water pump; or both. Due to overheating problems. And was wondering if I really have to replace the timing belt and pully and what not, or can I just put it back after fixing what I have to fix? I reeally dont have the cash to spend on anything but the repairs.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HELP!!!!1

Of course you don't have to, but you would be stupid not to. The only way I would even consider not replacing the tb and related parts would be if I had just changed them 10k miles ago. Park your car and car pool, take the bus, walk until you save up enough money to do the repair the right way. You know that if you only replace the thermostat, your waterpump will fail in a month. If you only replace your waterpump, your timing belt will fail. It is a big job, and parts are cheap, don't pay to have the job done twice because you were cheap the first time.

And by the way....Welcome to the forums. There is an incredible amount of info on this board, get used to the search feature and read read read.

Best of luck and enjoy your Car. I have a 2000 2.8 and love it.

Jeff

Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

thx

Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

As Jeffla says, do it properly. The time/labor to get at the water pump you'll have to do all again if later the TS fails. Thermostats can fail/ cause over heating and WP are known to fail, so do them both, and TB failure will destroy your engine. Not worth the risk.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Well im going to begin working on my car tomorow. O yea im going to try and change the water pump and thermostat myself. Being a college student there is no such thing as having enough money for anything. Wish me good luck.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

Good luck.... Oh, before you take it all apart for the WP, TS, I assume you checked the coolant level, you don't want air in the system. And is the coolant flowing, a block radiator or air in the system can lead to over heating.