Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! A6 submerged in muddy floodwaters.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Default HELP! A6 submerged in muddy floodwaters.

I'm not sure if you guys have heard the news that almost the whole of Manila was ravaged by flood. My precious A6 was one of thousands of vehicles that was unfortunate to be submerged by muddy floodwaters.

My car was submerged up to her roof for several hours. As expected, water entered the engine and the interior. When I checked after, the water had mixed with the engine oil and the interior (seats, gauges, computer box and everytihng else were soaking wet, in fact the only thing missing was goldfish swimming inside). The only good thing is that my insurance coverage includes flooding.

My concern is that should I ask the insurance to consider this as a total loss so that they will just give the amount that the car is covered or should I still consider that I have my car repaired?

I haven't had her checked yet by the dealer or any mechanic but I can't imagine how many parts need to be replaced or repaired. Is it still practical to have my car repaired? I am concerned that even if I have her repaired, there will always be malfunctions in the future because of the flooding. If it's okay to have her repaired, what needs to be checked?

By the way, I was able to disconnect the battery terminals before the water hit the engine.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM

good call with the battery and having the insurance.
As for your question. I don't know audi's well but I would imagine your getting a new audi!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Flooded car should be totalled. Saw the news footage of the flood, glad you are okay, but too bad about the car.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

I'd have that totalled for sure, otherwise you'll have electrical gremlins forever.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

Don't think twice - Tell the insurance company that it should be totaled. If they don't agree insist that they give you a 25 year warantee on any electrical or mechanical problem. Just think about all that mud in the motor, alternator, transmission, transfer cases, and even the seat mechanisms. Every sensor, computer, switch, and connector will begin to corrode immediatly.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

totalled !!!
No way to fix. Only replace whole car.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

Totaled!...if it still works u can buy back from the insurance company for VERY CHEAP and use it as a beater.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 AM
4th Gear

Call it totaled... even Toyota scrapped a whole ship full of cars because they might have been wet...