Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 2001A6
Hey, thanks guys! Great information! Im going to have to look into that. If you dont mind me asking Asianicestyles, about how much is it for them to fix the module. Its being intermittant now, was fine for about 10mins today, then while slowing down on an off ramp, lights and beeping.
I looked today for any loose conections, everything is tight.
This in a way makes me happy, means I didnt break it by playing in the snow
Im not from Chicago, but it is nice to hear from people who are less than 5 states away, lol. Thanks again!
the loose connection is inside the module itself

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Ah, I see yeah its pretty common for our ABS modules to go out and normally is electrical and it sounds like its the same with you, it seems to be intermittently losing power to the module.

We can rule out the pump since you said ABS still works perfectly, and this pretty much goes for the wheel speed sensors as well, if they were bad they don't always trigger fault codes but when you step on the brake during normal braking ABS would activate. So its more than likely the module, but it never hurts to check and clean off the wheel speed sensors.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by oc_audica
the loose connection is inside the module itself
right, we have the same issues with ecu's on older merc EFI outboards, soldering breaks lose inside over the years, causes power loss. I checked the plug going into the unit though, just in case. At least they have people to rebuild these, when those ECU's go, people buy brand new $1200 replacements!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

I rebuild these modules for $100. Send me an email if you want some more info: sidespar@yahoo.com

Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

FYI... Sometimes simple brake light switch malfunction will cause the ABS and brake lights to be on. It is a $20 and half an hour fix. Might be worth a try.

BTW, if you have a VAGcom, a sure way to tell is this. If your ABS module is bad, then it will pretty much block measuring block reading from all brake related items.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
FYI... Sometimes simple brake light switch malfunction will cause the ABS and brake lights to be on. It is a $20 and half an hour fix. Might be worth a try.

BTW, if you have a VAGcom, a sure way to tell is this. If your ABS module is bad, then it will pretty much block measuring block reading from all brake related items.
Dont have VAGcom. Where is this brake light switch located? Any way to trouble shoot it with out VAGcom?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

No VAGcom Shame on You!!!!
How can anyone live with an Audi and not have VAGcom?

The switch is ubder the dash.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by NH_USA
No VAGcom Shame on You!!!!
How can anyone live with an Audi and not have VAGcom?

The switch is ubder the dash.
Haha, yeah... I know. My dad is actually going to buy it for his VWs, and I will have use of it for mine whenever I need it, but I need it now, lol. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Asianicestyles
Hey, np man. I paid $200 to fix the module and $15 for 3rd day fed ex so $215 total. Yeah I had the same thing and it simply got worse and lights were coming on more often. My problem was power loss the the ABS module. If you don't think the module is bad, when the lights are on hook up Vag-com and see if you can read any faults if at all. I could not even scan my module and I could not scan any of the other modules either until i pulled the abs fuse so that told me yeah my module isn't even operational. Ha yep you may not be, but you sure do have a nice car.
Good to know I just had Autozone run a scan and could not find anything. Good info on the fuse, I didn't think of that.

Originally Posted by 2001A6
Dont have VAGcom. Where is this brake light switch located? Any way to trouble shoot it with out VAGcom?
Try Autozone, they will test it for free. Takes like 2 seconds.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Chicagoaudi98
Good to know I just had Autozone run a scan and could not find anything. Good info on the fuse, I didn't think of that.

Try Autozone, they will test it for free. Takes like 2 seconds.

Autozone scanner only reads CEL light information and may not read all VAG trouble code info.

Quick Reply: Help! ABS issue