Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! audi a6 3.o engine/transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Unhappy HELP!!!! audi a6 3.o engine/transmission problem

im turning to the internet in my last attempt... im 20yrs old, i just recently bought a 2004 audi a6 3.o with 65000 miles on it i was syked. (first car lol i had no idea what i was getting myself into) soon after i purchased it, it started having an issue with the engine/transmission. i dont know if i will be able to explain it well enough feel free to ask questions. it dose not happen all of the time and seems to be very random... as i am driving(obviously) and coming to a stop it feels as if the transmission just slips into a lower gear too soon. (keep in mind im now going 1-2mph about 1sec away from a complete stop) SOMETIMES after the car dose this it feels like its slipped into neutral BUT it will not react to the gas pedal... if i put it into reverse it still will not move... if i am on a hill and my foot is off the brake i roll down it. once it happened for so long i tried shutting the car off and back on to get it to move. i tried it 4-5 times no effect.

i have taken it to a mechanic each trip costs me about $400-$600 and i cant keep doing this they have replaced the gas pedal thinking it was the sensor, reset speed sensors, check computer found nothing wrong, they have replace gas filter, checked transmission fluid (although im not sure if they knew what they were doing even though they call themselves audi certified) they have gone through EVERYTHING cant find anything wrong with it and i am so pissed and frustrated i am about ready to sell it(theres been other stuff done just cant think of what exactly at the moment)

sucks tho i got it for 14,000 still owe a lot only had it for a few months and will have to sell it for alot less than i payed and get stuck with a piece of crap if i cant fix this :'( any help is greatly appreciated

Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear

Any DTS?

I'd suggest:
- atf level verification
- tip swich verification

Do transmission service- plenty of info on the forum

Is there a difference driving on a manual mode?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear

Is this a CVT or a tiptronic car? Simpler question... 2 wheel drive or AWD?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM

yes its tiptronic and it is 2 wheel drive

actually i haven't noticed a difference driving it in manual but ill pay more attention and see if i can tell a difference.
thank you for the input i really appreciate the effort
oh and not to sound like an idiot but what do u mean by DTS

Last edited by DotAaron; 04-02-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear

Multitronic transmission?
(Known not to be famous with great reputation)

Sorry about DTS - should be DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)

Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DotAaron
oh and not to sound like an idiot but what do u mean by DTS
You don't sound like an idiot.

I guess is just a typo, and he meant "DTC" = Diagnostic Trouble Code(s)

By the way:
...coming to a stop it feels as if the transmission just slips into a lower gear too soon (keep in mind im now going 1-2mph about 1sec away from a complete stop)
The transmission suppose to slip into a lower gear as it matches the winding down rotational speed. Since you talk about 1-2 mph, it is normal that it shifts all the way to the 1st gear, based on the braking speed; even if it may seem "too soon" for you.
If you ever drove a manual, then you know that you cannot coast on a higher gear with your foot off the acceleration pedal. One the following suppose to happen:
- you are forced to downshift, otherwise the car would stall
- you slip it in Neutral and coast all the way to the stop
- you ride the clutch (BAD habit) while the higher gear can be left engaged

By the same token, an automatic transmission has to have some built-in "downshifting assist", to prevent overusage of the higher gears at low speeds. The electronic management has a way of preventing the car from coasting in a higher gear when coming to a stop. It cycles down the gears, just as you'd do with a manual.
None of the automatic cars I owned previous to this Audi had such a good downshifting as this one has, which I can actually "feel" very good with the foot off the acceleration pedal.

Anyway, the "early" downshifting is not your problem.
You real problems reside with gear slippage, as you described.

Nemohm seems to be the transmission guru resident, so he may be able to pinpoint what's happening with your tranny - of course, based on what further symptoms/codes/etc you provide him with.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

I shall not take it personally.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
I shall not take it personally.
hmmm....definitely you shouldn't, as it wasn't an affront.
You seem to know more about transmissions in Audis more than anyone else around (no disregard intended toward them, as well).

P.S. I would list along with you the gentleman who rebuilt his transmission on his own (I escape the name or forum ID).

Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear

It is unfortunate, but I believe you have a CVT, also known as Multitronic. It basically is garbage. People have numerous complaints and failures on CVTs. Even if the car is under warranty, Audi typically replaces the transmission instead of working on it, because it is too complicated. Only thing that I can recommend is to take it to a good transmission shop who will work on Audi CVTs, if you can find one.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

I have confession to make:

I feel no happiness fixing cars, but rather driving them!
The matter of fact is that I’m neither lawyer, nor doctor and being a proud owner of an German engineered car I have to face the reality to put efforts and resources to match and comprehend the achievements of cohort Ph’d’s that had designed the car in a whole and in details.
I’m firm believer that things should and could be made simpler and that the simplicity is the ultimate sign of ingenuity.
As I do understand how do cars work, It’s been a challenge for me to comprehend the reality of the current car making achievements.
The breaktrough was a TV documentary about restoration of a WW2 German tank – Panther (the latest and greatest). As the story developed it become clear what lead to the defeat at Kursk and so on (one detail only).
As the plague of outsourcing to India scales wide – one could thing Audi innovatively got outsourced years ago.
At least the power still measures in horse power not in elephant power… not yet.

DotAaron, a piece of advice:
Dump the car – make somebody else proud owner and forum participant.
And => never look back!

P.S. Inevitably going on unemployment (India connection) might create conditions for getting back my air tools I gave way years ago?

Last edited by nemohm; 04-02-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! audi a6 3.o engine/transmission problem