Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Car has 'forgotten' keys, trouble recoding

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Car has 'forgotten' keys, trouble recoding

In a bit of a panic as have only 1 car and urgent hospital appointment in the morning.

I was fitting my head unit and removed the dash/dials as I knew some of the connectors were not tight (thought this might be causing me some canbus issues - cannot read trip comp functions etc). I left this disconnected whilst I glued the connectors (the green/blue/grey things behind dash - purple 'clasp' was broken).

Put it all back and saw a couple of ABS, bulb errors so was checking with VCDS when I noticed the flashing key symbol. Both keys won't work. Managed to find my pin and tried to recode, but when I enter the # of new keys, get an ERROR. Tried this on VAG TACHO and PIN accepted, but command refused.

Is this something to do with the cluster? Does the car think it's new? Also asked me again for the stereo pin when it's been coded before.

Any tips really welcome thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

as an update, I checked VCDS again:

in channel 22, I get a zero value on key condition for both keys but on channel 23 I get zero for transponder status. So it sounds like 'keys cannot be coded because they are coded to another immo' and 'keys are not locked/nor coded to this immo yet'.

cannot figure out how/why the immo/cluster forgets a key already matched?

will I need new ID48 chips?

Last edited by caseyjay; 03-16-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:06 PM
1st Gear
Default problem solved

...retraced steps and (think) one of the cluster connectors wasn't pushed fully home, feel a bit stupid, but got there...

guess that's enough to throw the ecu/immo off...