Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose

Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Help me choose

I want to become a member of the Audi family. I desperately want to do so. I've been eyeing up A4s for years now. And now I've got my eye on the A6.[/align][/align]A brief about me - I'm an IT professional and responsible for the systems of a law firm with three office spread out literally 40 miles from each other in a triangle. So it's conceivable that in a day I can do 160+ miles. My normal commute is 80 miles a day.[/align][/align]Anyway, I want something comfortable. Something that can get out of it's own way. Something that won't require an extreme amount of mainenance.[/align][/align]I wanted to go with the A6 because of it's size - both for my family, and for the trunk space for work. I've got a limit of 15K for this car. I'm leary about a high-mileage turbo vehicle. I really wanted a manual tranny, but it's apparent that it won't happen with the 4.2L.[/align][/align]I've been reading about these cars and I've seen both sides. Some people love them. Some people hate them. I can do most work myself. So I'm not too concerned about any maintenance or repairs. I'm just concerned about A LOT of maintenance or repairs.[/align][/align]SO, bottom line - I want an A6 as a daily driver. Bad idea? What should I look for? If I need to be talked out of this, then so be it. And although everyone here is biased, I figure I'd go to the experts.[/align][/align]Thank you!!![/align]

Old 03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help me choose

Find a low mileage 2.8 A6. This sounds like your best bet for commuting. They come with all the goodies like the bigger brother versions but with better MPG and less maintenance due to lack of turbos. Make sure you do your homework and buy from someone with all the service records and then go have the car worked over by a INDY.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Sorry - INDY? Independent mechanic I'm assuming?[/align][/align]And, although I want a stick, I can live without it. What about the 4.2? Engine reliable? Tranny?[/align][/align][/align]

Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah..Independent mechannic

I'm not sure about the manual with the 2.8 A6. You can get a manual in the 2.7t. You can get a manual in the 4.2 if you want to go to Germany and buy one...hehe. The 4.2 is very reliable and the tranny has some issues later in its life. There are workarounds. Search the forum for topics. Also, check out this link....tons of info on the cars. Good luck!

http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html

Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not sure I'm a good reference,but I do a lot of driving too. I bought mine with 34k miles and now have 92k in less than two years. It is mostly highway mileage. Reliability is not as good as my 02 Saturn VUE but the A6 has many many more goodies that can go wrong.

I had to replace the alternator at 65k. The stealership wanted $400 for the part but I bought a refurb off the internet for $200 and he installed it. I would have used my local indie but I was 180 miles from home.

I also chipped the car at 78k. That may or may not have contributed to a slipping clutch, but I replaced the clutch and flywheel at 89k. It goes to the shop in two weeks for the timing belt, etc (another $1000). After that I plan on driving it over 200k.

So with almost 60k I have $1000 in mods and $3600 in repairs. Note that the original owner towed a small trailer regularly, and that might have contributed to the clutch problem.

On the flip side it is a great pleasure to drive. It's just cool having a luxury sports tourer with a stick. It has plenty of power although not really quick off the line (and I refuse to hammer it through the gears), it rolls from 70-100+ very quickly. In 3rd or 4thover 3500 rpm,theacceleration will push you back in the seat. It is rock solid at highway speeds and stable in snow/slush/ice. Heated seats are great in the winter. The trunk is spacious and there is room in the back seatfor two teenagers. It's a good looking car with great lines.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

That's an excellent review IMO. Exactly what I've been looking for. 3600 in 60k doesn't sound so bad to me. Especially for all that driving. Now, granted, I didn't put 3600 into my Prelude in the 5 years I owned it. But it's also a Honda and we know they're pretty much bulletproof.[/align][/align]Thanks again for the input. I appreciate it.[/align][/align]

Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

I know this is an A6 forum, but this is related to this post:[/align][/align]I've actually got a guy dropping off an A4 for me to test drive for the weekend. Here's the scoop on it:[/align][/align]2000 A4 - Manual - 1.8T
It's got like 90k on it. Here's the catch - it has a "new" engine with 50k on it. I'm not sure why it was replaced. Just that it was. He said it needs brakes on the front and two front tires. He also said that the CEL is on since the swap and he's not sure why. He "claims" that whomever put the engine in forgot to put some sort of sensors up front for the brakes - I'm assuming ABS? Anyway, it'll be here tonight and I'll have it for the weekend.[/align][/align]He wants 6 grand for it.[/align][/align]Input?[/align][/align][/align]