Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with A6 lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Angry Help needed with A6 lock problem

I've got a 2000 A6 2.7. The car sat for about a year but started up after charging the battery. It passed inspection without issue except for smog as it is smog exempt in my home county. The key FOB doesn't work so I've been using the key in the door to unlock it. The other day I tried to unlock it and the key went round and round in both directions without doing anything. Glad it has a central locking system activated by the trunk lock. Since the key FOB is dead, I was wondering three things:

1) Can you use the reprogramming technique using the spare key in the ignition and unlocking the car with the trunk lock instead of the door lock?

2) Any idea on what might be wrong with the locking mechanism? I can get a new one from Audi for about $350, which is insane, or a new one from China on eBay for less than $50. Problem is that I watched a video on YouTube on how to change out the mechanism and it is terribly complicated and took the Audi mechanic forever to do it, so I know that Audi will charge me $350 to change it out plus the cost of the part; My mechanic will charge me at least $200 plus the price of the eBay part to do it. BTW - They hate working on Audis since they are a major PIA as they are a lot more complex and it takes longer to fix most common things than a "normal" car.

If you think the key FOB can be reprogrammed using the key in the ignition technique and unlocking the car with the other key in the trunk, I will buy new batteries and give it a try. If not, I'll skip trying it.

3) If I go to the length of getting the new module installed, will my old key still work in the lock? Seems to me that you would need a new key?

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing back from some Audi "locksmiths" on this one.

george

Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Wow, 192 views and 0 replies. Wasn't expecting that.