Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed after water damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Arrow Help needed after water damage

So, last night a large container of my daughters bubble mix leaked out into my passenger foot well. I dried the spot under the mat, hosed down the mat and thought all was well. Then on my way to work today I all of a sudden got a message showing all the doors were all open, now my windows and sunroof dont work. My alarm has randomly gone off several times today and now it wont arm even when the doors are locked.

Someone told me the ecm is located under the carpet on the passenger side, and I began to search for instructions on pulling up the carpet. It looked easy till i got down there and tried, now im afraid of breaking trim. But after searching the forum i see that the moduel that controls the windows ect is on the drivers side.

So can anyone clarify what might be wrong? Are there any writeups for removing the passenger carpet?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bklynrx7; 08-30-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

passneger side is the transmision control module unde the carpet . i would get in their pretty quick .. also ceck your fuses for the othjer stuff. sorry i don't have a bently but you have to take the trim off along the bottom door sill to get the carpet out.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

you need to get that carpet up and open up the tcm asap the carpet isnt hard to pull up if you remove the few screws in the side panel up under the glove compartment then pull up the trim along the door sill you can lift the carpet enough to get the tcm box out. drain the box and unplug the tcm and clean the plug and put some dielectric grease on it to stop any further corrosion.

Is there any chance that the water got to the drivers side front floor? because the window and alarm issues sure sound like water has gotten into the interior control module located on the drivers front floor. if it has do the same as the tcm side and get the box opened up asap. Time isnt on your side here the sooner you get these things opened up the better. I have rebuilt a few of these cars as flood cars related to the plugged drain up in the firewall so if you have further issues get in touch and I will help where I can or just search under my posts and you will find some detailed explanations of whats wrong and how to repair it.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Just some added info. My 2004 A6 flooded just like yours. My TCM under front passenger side carpet was sitting in a bath of water. I removed TCM blew it out with compressed air and cleaned with a electronic cleaner and water dissipator. Reinstalled the TCM and all was fine. Just make sure you clean the drain under battery.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

So, i took it to a shop and they pulled up the carpet. There was not a drop of water in sight anywhere under the carpet. Bone dry on both side and no right of previous water or soap residue. They replaced the body control module with one off a parts car and everything worked perfectly for about 12 hours, now, in the blink of an eye, im back exactly where I started. Any idea what can cause 2 control modules to blow even when there is no moisture present?

Can this be unrelated to the spill? I see the module thats malfunctioning is on the drivers side, not the passengers where the liquid spilled.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
1st Gear
Angry

this may be unrelated but my a6 has been having some water issues as well started withe the amp in trunk then one day driving in heavy rain i noticed water coming in on the passengers side and most resiliently unable to start car at all will not turn over at all only a click from the drivers side under hood all lights work fine what could cause this

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Read my post above you need to pull up the carpet and check for water in the tcm (black box under carpet front passenger side) and the icm (black box under front driver side. check these controllers first if there has been alot of water get under your carpet then you are going to have other issues within the wiring harness. do a search of my posts and you will find details of this damage or pm me if you like.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default A8 2015 Bought with water damage/ all lights work/ won’t crank

Replaced battery, plugs & coil packs.. the passenger side trim has been removed and right under glove box wires w/ connected exposed.. definitely smell mildew in the cab.. bod reader cannot communicate with Ecm.. so I’m assuming the ecm is fried

QUOTE=padog;1250633]Read my post above you need to pull up the carpet and check for water in the tcm (black box under carpet front passenger side) and the icm (black box under front driver side. check these controllers first if there has been alot of water get under your carpet then you are going to have other issues within the wiring harness. do a search of my posts and you will find details of this damage or pm me if you like.[/QUOTE]