Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please Malfunction light on!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Help please Malfunction light on!

Hi!
I have a 04 A6 2.7 T. I got the MIL on about 6 months. The car was shaking when idling the it was not running right so i took to the dealer. It was coil no 6 that had to be replaced. Problem fixed
About two months ago it when I would turn on the car in the morning the MIL would be flashing and the car would shake a little. If I turned it off right away and then back on the light and the shaking would go away.
Today I turned it on and it start shaking. So i turned back off and then i turned it on again. It quit shaking and the car runs just like normal but the light is on and doesn't want to go away.
Does anybody know what the problem would be?

PS: I would also like to buy a code scanner so that i can diagnose the problem myself. Do you have any suggestion on what and where to get? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the code scanner.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by ArhY; 06-04-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Typing error
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

Bring it to Audi there is a TSB for that problem have them look into it and see if it would help. If it is then your ECM needs to be flashed.

TSB 01-04-06 Update

Programming (Flashing) Engine Control Module (ECM) to Correct Cold Start Engine Stumble (Aug. 30,2004)

After Cold Start Engine Runs Rough. Vehicle may Stumble, Buck and or Shutter on initial acceleration. Engine may stall at idle when transmission is shifted from Neutral/Park to Drive/Reverse.

Condition usually lasts for less than 30 seconds after engine start. Afterwards the vehicle starts and runs without any complaints.

Condition associated with the following DTCs.
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301-P0306 Cylinder 1 through 6 Misfire Detected

I like the way they word that Stumble, buck or shudder but under no circumstance shall it shimmy, quake or judder.

Last edited by Jackmup; 06-04-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 PM
2nd Gear

As for the scan you can get it read at an autostore for free like autozone,pepboys,advance etc... do not buy one of those because they can not read everything. You would have to buy a vag-com for a laptop at www.ross-tech.com there are members who may have found a way to obtain a vagcom using a cheaper cable. However the ross-tech program needs to recongize the cable/Dongle so I'm not sure how that works out in the end. You should do a search and ask. I think mine was $250.00

Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default MIL light still on

Thanks for your quick replies.

I still have the MIL light on (check engine) but the car runs fine. Should I worry about it? I will be able to take to the shop next Wednesday. Is that going to be ok? Or it's gonna damage something?

Do you also know how much would it cost to flash the ECM? I live in Jackson, WY and I have to dirve to the audi dealer in Idaho Falls. They charge $80/hour for labor.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: Should I print out that message that you just wrote about ECM and TSB and show it to them? BTW, what is TSB?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 AM
4th Gear

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Basically wht the tech should do/look out for for certain problems.

If its not flashing, you should be safe for a bit.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

Do a search in this forum on VagCom and you'll see how you can get a code scanner for less than $25..

Old 06-05-2009, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Any generic scanner will pull the codes for a misfire if that is what your problem is for some damn reason it is worse on some days than others and the light will cylcle off and then on again Just to keep you guessing.

Have the codes scanned before you take the trip just to be on the safe side. But basically the TSB is for a misfire that happens when you start the car cold and goes away when it is warm so once your up and running you should be OK. If it's that problem. Like midniteoyl said don't drive if it's blinking.

$25 for a vagcom sounds nice. Wish I knew that when I got mine.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:48 PM
4th Gear

$25 for a vagcom sounds nice. Wish I knew that when I got mine.
$23 shipped

Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
$23 shipped
Hong Kong stuff?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:05 AM
1st Gear
Default $20 Ebay Cable

After 2 days the light is still on but the car runs fine.

Today I ordered a cable for $22 from ebay. Here's the link with all the instructions to set it up
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158766

When I get it I'm gonna need to know what the codes mean. Do you guys know where I can find a list with the codes?

I also had another problem for the last 6 months. My steering wheel is shaking pretty bad when I first start driving the car in the day. It happens over 40 mph. I balanced and rebalanced the tires, switch the to summer tires. When i balance them the vibration goes away for a week but then it comes back little by little. I got 18" wheels with low profile tires on them. I was reading on the forum and some people were talking about brake calipers but i don't think it's the brakes 'cause when i slow down the vibration goes away.
Anyone knows what should I do?

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: Help please Malfunction light on!