Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! White smoke!!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 AM
aXc
1st Gear
Default HELP!!! White smoke!!

Hey guys, I've recently experienced some problems with my 2000 audi a6 2.7T (auto) and woudl appreciate any tips you guys have. So a couple of months ago (early december) on a very cold day (-25 celcius or so) I drove out and noticed that as I hit the gas pedal clouds of white smoke was coming out the exhaust (with a wierd burning smell). It was to the extent that it would build up a smoke cloud if I just stopped at a red light. At the same time I had had some oil leaks for a while so I called my mechanic and had him look at it and try to fix them at all at once. He said that there were a couple of bad leaks and that the smoke was probably caused by a leak of radiator fluid and so he replaced that... costing me more than 2k (canadian). It never happened again so I assumed it was fixed. At the same time, it never got quite as cold again either... until today, when it happened again. I drove home today and after getting home (5-10 min drive) and opening the hood, it smelled terrible and I decided to check the engine oil by pulling out the oil stick, and it resulted in oil splurging out of the oil stick hole as soon as I started pulled it out a bit!!! I've got no idea why this is happening and I feel ripped off because I spent 2k on radiator and oil leaks and it didn't fix a damn thing!!

Other notes: After getting my car "fixed" in december, a couple of weeks ago, I once again noticed that my car had dripped slightly while parked on an uphill (I normally park level at home and haven't gotten drips). I didn't really think too much about it. And then yesterday, it was probably -20 or so, I noticed after I started my car and let it warm up, when I shifted from parking to drive, the rev did some weird thing where it went down to 600 then went up... and it didn't quite feel right. I wasn't sure what to make of that. Tonight, it did the same thing, the shifting did the same thing too.

Again, your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

You are experiencing the very typical symptoms for an Audi this age and model.
One should start with:
Crankcase ventilation -spyder pipe. (look atthe audiforums.ca where is a post from Manitoba with estimate to fix an Allroad -$14k)
Your turbos could be affected too.
The next is the TC and transmission - costly and cumbersome to handle.
Read the forum as there are many posts that could apply in your case.
There is no single action that one could recommend, neither there is a single strategy to follow.
Simple transmission service could help or TC- tranny replacement ....
The art here is when one stops pouring $$$ into end gets her dump...

Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

White Smoke could be Coolant, getting into the Cylinders or Turbo.
What is dripping? Oil, coolant? If its coolant then I would say its what I just stated above.. If its happening at start-up, then its probably not the case.. CHeck you coolant levels?

Burning oil = blue smoke. Running rich = black.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

"(with a wierd burning smell). "

Did it smell sweet like coolant?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
aXc
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MooF
White Smoke could be Coolant, getting into the Cylinders or Turbo.
What is dripping? Oil, coolant? If its coolant then I would say its what I just stated above.. If its happening at start-up, then its probably not the case.. CHeck you coolant levels?

Burning oil = blue smoke. Running rich = black.
I just replaced the radiator so it shouldn't be leaking coolant. I did check the coolant level and it seemed normal.

The smoke came out in excess amount even when parked....

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
aXc
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
You are experiencing the very typical symptoms for an Audi this age and model.
One should start with:
Crankcase ventilation -spyder pipe. (look atthe audiforums.ca where is a post from Manitoba with estimate to fix an Allroad -$14k)
Your turbos could be affected too.
The next is the TC and transmission - costly and cumbersome to handle.
Read the forum as there are many posts that could apply in your case.
There is no single action that one could recommend, neither there is a single strategy to follow.
Simple transmission service could help or TC- tranny replacement ....
The art here is when one stops pouring $$$ into end gets her dump...
audiforums.ca doesn't exist

Even if I stopped putting anymore money into this, what could I do..? I don't think it would be very sellable....

Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Try spraying some carb cleaner and WD-40 in the valve on the right side of the "Y" pipe, mine was stuck a few days ago and it warked for me. Because it was soo cols out the valve froze with the moisture in there.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Yeah "Warked"