Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Won't move, grinding, metal chunks left on road. A6 2.7T M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear
Default HELP!!! Won't move, grinding, metal chunks left on road. A6 2.7T M6

HELP!!!
I just bought this 2002 A6 2.7t M6. I was driving home from work at low speed (decelerating into town from 40-25mph) and I heard what sounded like a loud clunk and then a quick grinding noise and I ran over something. There was a big hunk of metal thrown from beneath my car which tumbled into the intersect. Upon pulling over and retrieving it I couldn't figure out what it was. It's a piece of semi-circular aluminum that looks like it would be attched to protect a drive shaft or something of the sort. The metal had rough edges where it had obviously cracked and broken, and had oil on it. The oil was dark greenish in color.

So I go to get in the car and drive off. Put my foot on the clutch and release the e-brake,... I start rolling forward and hear a grinding clunking noise. So I roll to the bottom of the small incline I'm at and stop. The clunking/grinding stops. From this point I get out to look at the wheels. There is nothing in the way of the wheels, no obvious metal, nothing. I get in and try pulling away. As I release the clutch I hear grinding. The car goes no-where with the clutch fully released, only grinds at the same pace as the engine. If I step on the gas the grinding gets faster and louder.

I think this is obviously a clutch issue, but my father suggest a U-joint. Is it possible for a front U-joint to blow apart taking with it a drive shaft safety loop (aluminum metal piece) and stop the whole car from moving? Wouldn't the rear wheels cease to operate bu the front wheels continue to drive?

My thoughts are a clutch plate finally blew apart. The clutch had previously been getting steadily more jerky with the engagement further and further towards the end of the throw. As I mentioned previously I just bought this car in november, and I really can't afford 1000s of dollars of repair bills. Is this somethin I can fix myself? Does an Audi dealer have to look at it? Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a bunch guys!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP!!! Won't move, grinding, metal chunks left on road. A6 2.7T M6

Man, Your situation is wiggin' me out, I don't want to see that happen to my car.

Is there anything as simple as a u-joint on an Audi, I don't think so.

1000's of dollars, could be.

Good luck?

Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

Do you still have a warranty with the car? if you just bought it you should be able to have the dealer look at it and fix it under warranty.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 AM
1st Gear

No such warranty. Dealer is in NY and I'm in Northern, MA. I drove the car 4 hours home the day I bought it. That would be one helluva tow charge!!! Anyways I work at a Ford dealership and had the guys in my shop take a look. Turns out that the front drivers side axle flange blew apart taking the heat shield to the turbo with it. Should be a fairly simple repair but I gotta replace the heat shield ($110), and it looks like a bunch of labor to get into where that part is located. YUCK!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Site Moderator

Well if you clutch pedal feels ok, ive seen a few front halfshaft give out. If one of them goes out it doesn't matter if you have four wheel drive your going nowhere.
Lift the front wheels of the ground and rotate the front wheels while looking at the outer cv boot area and see if you see the thing lopping around. I have bad news though, if it is a cv axle they are really expensive, about $900 just for the part.