Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to check wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default how to check wastegates

hey so ive been having boost problems and so i brought the A6 to a shop near by, they looked at it and said there is no boost leaks and since they are not to familiar with audi's they suggest looking at the actuators in the wastegates does anyone know how to do this? i didnt have them do it because i dont feel like paying for something i could possibly do myself. And also i have already replaced the n75 valve and the dv's so those cant be it. thanks alot. im hoping theres a way to do this with out pulling the motor. they think one of them is getting stuck open or closed.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator

Well its a bitch to get at the wastegates, so do you have a boost gauge to verify the correct boost is being supplied from both turbos? The only problem i have seen with a wastegate on an audi was a 97 A4 1.8T where the actuator arm broke off, but that would usually produce NO boost, or it could be stuck closed giving full boost. I highly doubt its the wategates themselves, i would double check all the lines to the wastegates and verify the turbos are working with your boost gauge or vag com.
The most efficient way of telling its not an intake leak is to hook up a smoke machine to the intake and injecting it with non toxic smoke. If you don't see any smoke then you can TRY and get at the wastegate actuators.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

ha thats awsome a smoke machine i never thought of that. ill double check the lines gonig to the wastgates and i do have a boost gauge but how do i hook it up so it only will read one turbo? right now its hooked up right in between were the dv's are.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Site Moderator

You don't need to, if you can produce more than 7-8 psi then they are both working.
Did this shop even check the fault codes? Was this a euro repair shop? Boost issues can be caused by more than just the wastegates themselves, a bad MAF, plugged exhaust, crappy ignition etc. etc. can cause what you might notice as a boost problem.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

not a euro shop it was Ptuning there is no codes. i have a obdII code reader and there is nothing but i guess maybe a vagcom could read it. well ill take it to NGP this week sometime but i just wanted to see if its things i could easily check for. so i dont have to pay for a diagnostic but i guess thats what its come down to. but yea its pretty much when i WOT it will spike 15psi then instantly drop to 9 then when i shift it will only hit 4-5psi and if i am curzing in 3rd thru 6th and floor it with out down shifting it wont see more than 4-5psi.

Last edited by SILVER A6 2.7T; 06-08-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Site Moderator

K, are you chipped? What chip? If you're producing that kind of boost its not gonna be a wategate/turbo problem, more of an engine management issue there.
This of course is if you're chipped, if you're stock, thats about normal.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

im stock and after i got my turbos replaced for a good 9mos it would just hit 9psi and hold there. now all of a sudden its spiking 15 and and holding 9 or only holding 4-5. i have no engine mods except for a CAI but i have had it on for over a yr

Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Site Moderator

Pull your MAF sensor, and clean it with some MAF sensor cleaner. You can get that at any autoparts store, DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER. Clear the faults and see what happens.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

thanks alot man ill let you know what happens tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

throttle body boot? The diverter valves and n75 are new, but the boot is also known to leak. Its an easy check because its right on top. If its ripped replace it with a silicone one and get the updated clamps.

Quick Reply: how to check wastegates