Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I know WHICH control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Question how do I know WHICH control arm?

ok, so I've got a creaking/moaning noise coming from the driver front suspension. The upper front control arm was replaced and fixed some of the noise but not all, meaning I've got at least one other control arm creaking. How do I determine WHICH control arm it is that's creaking still?

Or do I have to just start replacing the remaining 3 until I get it right?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Default replace all

I've heard that it is best to replace them all, because if one is bad the others will soon follow. I have another similar thread going...somebody said Febi-Bilstein is best, another suggested an Italian mfg at blauparts.com. The kit is $500+. Let me know how it goes

Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

You could spray each of the remaining UCA's with PB Blaster once a day (one at a time) until the squeaking stops, but depending on how many miles you have on the car, there may be a few that are noisy.

If you decide to change the whole set, I'd recommend febi-Bilstein, but that's the only set I've used. It's not a bad DYI job if you want to save a few bucks, but if you do, search for pinch-bolt threads.