Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you remove headlight assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Default how do you remove headlight assembly?

I bought a pair of HID lights off of EBay with ballasts, and it seems that i need to remove the whole damn light fixture just to get to the connector. Or so I have read online anyway. Does anyone have a 2000 A6 that they have revoved the headlight from, or replaced the stock bulbs with an hid? I need some advice, i'm about to throw away the damn hid kit I bought out of frustration. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

i took my headlights off to polish them ...

I removed the front bumper cover as I was doing something else to so I think you may have to do this . The trick is the hole in the top of the front support for you to get a torx bit and a long extention down to get the last pesky bolt.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear

to get the light assembly out you need to loosen the from bumper. There are 2 bolts in the front, you get to those by removing the little side grills and looking up. Then there are 3 bolts on each side WAY!!!! up inside the wheel wheel. AudiDIY.com has a tutorial to remove the front, just follow that.

ya its a pain in the ***, but thats how you do it.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Actually it only takes about 20 minutes to get the entire front bumper off .. the only real pain is taking the skid pad off. if that is gone it is easy ..

crawl under and disconnect the horn and foglight connections on each side ... undo the 3 plastic speed nut on each side that hold the bumper cover to the fender ( 10mm .. socket or ratchet wrench wors great .
carefully remove the plastic clip that holds the washer supply line to the bumper ( you will see the connection on the drivers side when you get under there ( make sure you hemostat off the supply line from the tank or your getting wet. )
undo the front gog ligh grills ( just pull out ) and as mentioned above undo the long bols that arre hidden buy the fog cover ( they go straight up . ) it is a 9 or 10mm hex , don't quite remember .. after removong bolts the front bumper lifts right off ...
then you can get the lights out ..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default bumper cover removal

I have an aftermarket bumper cover from extreme dimensions. I undid all the screws I could see and still it would not budge, I did not however look up in the wheel well. I will try that. I think the dipshit who put it on for me may have used some sort of adherent to keep it snug against the bdy of the car in addition to the screws, thats the only thing I can think of. Im afraid to force it , but I'll give this thing another look.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

i think the principles are the same .. you should tell us what you di take out , that might help . the cover does kind of clip in to the fender and the 3 nuts at each side pull it snug . if anything is biding ai would say it is where the rebar goes on to the bumper shocks .. ( those long *** bolts you took out . )

Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Great Success!

Thanks all, I finally figured out that pulling off the bumper cover or pulling out the headlights was not neccessary to install these hids. AFter succesfully pulling one headlight entirely out, I realized that the hid I have does not need to plug into any connections from the male power source. I simply had to use a red and black wire that was in my hid kit and attach the wires which were pretty dummy proof.....ok, maybe not dummy proof, but slow minded proof. Once I figured that out i had the second light installed in less than 5 minutes. They look great. Thanks all who attempted to assist me.